Cuba anyone?

For the record, I will state that I have never been to Cuba, and will categorically deny ever planning a trip there, for any reason. However, I hear, that it can be quite troublesome to Americans. Unless the U.S. policy has changed, the state department bans travel to Cuba except for students and Journalists, and those with family/humanitarian needs. Because of this, there is potential problems, should problems arise. As far as Cubans go, I have heard they generally welcome Americans, and the Cuban government will make every effort to abort problems, beginning with stapling your visa into your passport, rather than stamping it. Cash is basically your only real means of wealth, forget credit cards, and forget traveler's checks, paper trail, possible problem w/ U.S. state department.

Sanuk is around, both professional and "amature" but as previously stated, Hotels will most likely not allow her to enter your room. There was at one time, a traveling "speakeasy" (for lack of a better word) called "Barracuda's" it was a nightclub without a home, in other words, it changed location every week (it operated once a week or so). It's location was kept secret until a few hours before it opened, then only circulated by word of mouth to those in the know. Every form of vice was available here, or so I am told.

The beaches are great, prices are reasonable, Sanuk can be had, but there will be hassles and possible shake downs, but again, this is all just what people have told me, I have never been there.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Hippie: You seem pretty well informed for not having been there.

The visa issue is the main problem. Immigration will usually not stamp your passport coming and going after some grim looks and if you ask. Oddly, they are not amenable to a little tip for servicing you.

Heard recently some rumblings from the State Department that they'd be pressing the case against illegal US travellers to the island. Although how they could do it without a paper trail, is an interesting question.

LC,

Basically, as I understand it, the Cuban Government wants our money. Soi they attempt to accomodate us. The visa issue is a problem, a few bucks will get you a visa that is stapled inside your passport, rather than stamped, you may need the visa should a problem arise. Now, here is the kick, the paper trail, basically, you will have to only use cash. You may get lucky and find some Canadian who will cash a traveler's check for you, but that is rare. So having all that cash, you are a target. Also, should any problems arise, you are not supposed to be there, so what will you do? and who will you call?

You will have to go through a third party country of sorts, Canada is bad, paper trail possibility, and good record keeping, remember, they know you went, the Usa can find out pretty quickly if it wants to, there was even some talk of reporting those getting on planes to Cuba to the US Gov. Mexico is maybe better, less reliable as far as the US gov is concerned. A better option might be the Dominican Republic, also a good spot to party so I hear. In any event, these are just suggestions, as I have never been to Cuba!

Americans,

I see that you are really having problems with Cuba.

I can, even with a lot of goodwill, not understand what really scares you so much.

Papertrails ? too much cash ? Jeeez.....

For me this compares to the elephant being scared by the mouse

Without turning this thread into something it should not become, I can fully understand the US policy back in the 60' and 70', but really if today one would open up all borders, I'm pretty convinced it will be the end of the actual regime.

As a small example, look at Vietnam...

Ok, let us close the subject on this, and sorry if you guys cant have any sanuk there....for the time being. frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter:

any info to share for sanuking in Cuba? places to stay , prices e.t.c
tongue.gif" border="0

I usually end up in Santiago in the east. Casas around 15 US a night but long term rates can be negotiated. Shop around. Cabbies are a decent starting pont. Decent casa is by no means worse than hotel and will often provide much better food too. Full diner typically 10 US. These folk will also provide transport, booz, sigars and what ever your desire. Many are legal and to avoid trouble figure out whether they actually are.

Pick-up places abundant, just sit yourself on a terras outside hotel Santiago opposite America. No need to go to clubs and discos. In the town centre, girls will avoid walking next to you 'coz of the police.

Girls expect some 10-20 US a night.

Not aware of direct flights to Santiago. From abroad you will often arrive in Holguin. Taxi to Santiago is around 50-60 US. In case you are required to book a few nights book America opposite hotel Santiago. Something in between 30 and 40.

Avoid tourist trap Varadero at all costs. Avoid the hassle of trying to smuggle girls into hotels, it can be very frustrating. Your first priority upon arrival should be finding a casa.

Havana is much more hassle and all the "psssst, psssst, wanna buy sigars?" can quickly get on your nerves.

Anything along the railtrack from Havanna to Santiago can be great too but often requires a bit of spanish. Not too experienced myself.

From US perhaps best option to fly via DR or Venezuela. Cuban customs will be very discrete about your visum. No problem there.

And if you have not been loved by a Cuban gall .... You have not lived ....

Best of luck

quote:

Originally posted by BelgianBoy:

Americans,

I see that you are really having problems with Cuba.

I can, even with a lot of goodwill, not understand what really scares you so much.

Papertrails ? too much cash ? Jeeez.....

For me this compares to the elephant being scared by the mouse...
frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

To start, most Americans would agree, but the folks who make the rules don't like it when we don't obey them. As for why we Americans would be scared to go there...most Americans would rather have a prostate exam than travel out of our comfy borders, in most cases anyway. But the bottom line is, travel to Cuba is against U.S. law, so we could face a serious fine of something like $25,000usd and or revocation of your passport, loss of any federally held licenses, guaranteed Tax audits etc... so most guys don't want the potential hassle!

If you are in Cuba, and you fall victum to any problem, such as police shakedowns etc...then you have another problem, because you are not supposed to be there, so you have no embassy to call, unless you want to alert them to the fact that you are breaking the law, which makes you vulnerable to the cops/robbers who know you have lots of cash! Need I go on?

For the most part, I have not heard of many hassles. There are many tourists there from Europe and Canada, so the bad guys have a hard time pulling the yank out of the crowd!! Go if you can, and enjoy!!

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

quote:

Originally posted by BelgianBoy:

Old Hippie,

Thanks for the reply, but that was not really my point.....

This is probably thin ice I now walk on ( cfr rules of the board ), but the fact is that it is a very silly and outdated law, no ?

Cheers and merry x-mas !

No, I wouldn't say silly...I think Assinine , rediculus and utterly fucked up better begins to explain it!! Cuba and the USA never actually had a war to speak of, yet we refuse to lift embargos and regognize them as our neighbors. Yet, every other country we have been in conflict with is now our friend. It is reduculus to say the least. And I see no reason for it to continue!

Archived