Cuba anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by BelgianBoy:

[QB]Americans,

For me this compares to the elephant being scared by the mouse

Without turning this thread into something it should not become... but really if today one would open up all borders, I'm pretty convinced it will be the end of the actual regime.

It's all going to change in the next few years. That as*hole Jesse Helms, whose been the main defender of the embargo, etc. is not running for re-election, and things are already loosening with that big food sale recently. All the embargo does at this point is give Castro a scapegoat for his government's failures. I caught one of his famous 6 hr. speeches when I was there 2 years ago and I swear half of it was him railing against the U.S. and blaming it for Cuba's troubles. No 'sanuk' activities, as I was with a GF, but I did see quite a few very tasty looking available women.

Note that before the revolution, Cuba was quite the place to go for whores and gambling. Would not suprize me at all if these days return once Castro is gone.

Imagine... telling citizens where they can and cannot go, with extremely harsh penalties for violators. Sounds like something a communist goverment would do!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

The whole US-Cuba policy is rediculus and must be changed. No matter how you slice it, we (the USA) has totally been off the mark here, I say normalize relations, and lets see what some Yankee capitalism can do. At this point what is the worst that can happen?

Well ... It's a bit tricky IMHO. Castro is very much dependant on the embargo. Liberalization would probably result in an exodus from Miami, with the mob on the first vessels to sail. Havana might be back in the pre-Castro era before you can say Lucky Luciano ...

At present, Castro seems happy luring in investors from Mexico, Venezuela and Canada. Anything to keep the Cubans from Miami out. Most Cubans with a brain I talked to recognize this too, even though they also recognize the embargo is used as an excuse.

What really puzzling is the US attitude. As with many things in the US (abortion clinics etc.), right wing extremists succesfully lobby driven by hatred rather than common sense. Zeal and brainpower seem to rule each other out. And too many folk in US apparently just don't give a shit. Probably too busy trading Cienna, Brocade, trying to get a second Merc in the driveway and all that.

It's a weird situation: I'de love to live in Cuba in case I would have more freedom to conduct bizz. But more freedom would probably imply conditions as in the former CIS. Catch 22. And oh horror: Undoubtedly the girly-scene would go all-pro and start to resemble NEP or PP or whatever.

Aaargh ... The horror ... The horror !!

You wonder what some Yankee capitalism can do. Well err ... Totally f*** up things as usual I guess. This US supremacy meme is more devastating than the Black Plague IMO. And it strikes me you will not rest untill e.g. Ankor Wat is all Disney and McDonalds too ...

Folk like (Paul Josef) Rumsfield ...

Aaargh ... The horror ... The horror !!!!

http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/hstintro.htm

quote:

At present, Castro seems happy luring in investors from Mexico, Venezuela and Canada. Anything to keep the Cubans from Miami out. Most Cubans with a brain I talked to recognize this too, even though they also recognize the embargo is used as an excuse.

Rhetoric aside, I don't think this to be entirely true. Castro would love the embargo lifted because he rules with such a tight fist that he'd still be pretty much able to control what comes in and to whom it gets distributed.

And as for Cubans from Miami coming back, they talk a big game but honestly there is no way there'd be a mass exodus from Miami. Too many people have gotten far too entrenched there. The kids growing up have known nothing but the good life in the USA. Even many of the old people that are the most vocal about going back would probably chicken out when it came right down to it because of the rebuilding of their lives that would be necessary.

There's constant talk of 'when Castro dies' being the trigger point for the return flotilla. Fact is, his brother Raul has been groomed for taking over the reins and I personally think Castro will outlive me (despite being twice my age). He's already outlived most of his adversaries.

When push comes to shove, the only Cubans in Miami that will go back are some of the older ones that have amassed a good share of wealth in the US and think they have a shot at a political career in a new Cuba.

As far as the embargo is concerned, don't expect it to be lifted any time soon. Unfortunately, the Cubans in Miami have a lot more political clout than they deserve. With Bush being elected president by a tainted election that turned on the Florida tally and his brother being governor of that state, that clout has become overemphasized. There are still sufficient federally elected officials (from Florida) that seem to have no agenda outside of Cuban affairs. And if Washington listens to anything, it's special interest groups.

Having lived a few of my years in Miami, I feel qualified to make these comments.

quote:

Rhetoric aside, I don't think this to be entirely true. Castro would love the embargo lifted because he rules with such a tight fist that he'd still be pretty much able to control what comes in and to whom it gets distributed.

[/QB]

Nice post, you could be right. From what I observe though, the pace of investment is entirely determined by the bureaucracy and inefficiency of the system and not by a lack of available capital.

Effectively the big chief has to authorize every individual enterprize so it seems.

Joe Average in Miami may not go back but I guess the entire former "elite" still want their property back or receive compensation or what ever. Not just anybody would seem as "understanding" as the Bacardi family.

Cuba is changing very rapidly by the way or so it seems. Four years ago all the little private initiatives you see today would have been unthinkable.

Perhaps, just perhaps, they are getting it sort of "right". Catch-as-catch-can US capitalism has never really worked for 3rd world countries as far as I'm aware. Being buddy-buddy with US didn't do the trick in Haiti or DR or Colombia or .....

On a totally selfish note: Tremendously enjoy Cuba as it is in many ways and sincerely hope the current US foreign policy will stay in place like forever.

All the best

I was in Cuba in Nov/Dec 97. Was suppose to be staying in the Havana Hilton but when i got to the airport tarvel agency said it was fully booked. But did get a letter of invitation etc from them.

Stayed in a casa particular for 2 weeks with a cuban family. Me in 1 room and the 5 of them in the other. Paid $25 a night but had air con etc and a free run of the flat. Owner didn't mind me bringing different girls back at all, use to say "Champion" with the old arm movement in the morning.

Went to a couple of night clubs near the Hilton going down to the malecon on the left, can't remember names now. Malecon always good for picking up girls as thats where they hung out, usually with bf but they didn't mind. A spot of spanish is a good help as my driver took the piss and got commision of the girl for all the talking. Sanuked with a lawyer who earnt $27 a month and receptionist and many others.

As public transport is crap offer some of the girls a lift who hitch hike and ask them for something to eat. They usually know whats gonna come after that. There usually 2 types of women there, the pro's and the ones who do it for a night out and a bloody good feed. Theres a nighclub near the malecon off hilton road at the bottom where the girls go but they have to be accompanied by a falang to get in so expect a couple of birds to tag along with you when you go in.

The Hemingway marina nightclub use to be good but i don't think it is any more. For the pro's i was giving them between $20 and $50 and the good time girls a bit of a shopping trip next day. Varadero is a no no as they want to know why the girl is with you when you enter through the entry gates.

Tourists are god and wont be touched but the girls get 2yrs and there head shaved if caught hooking. You'll see the girl's with there head shaved and know why.

Happy hunting and if you get a long time girl get her to exchange some dollars in to cuban peso's and make her buy everything as she gets in cheaper.

mitch laugh.gif" border="0

Archived