Beware of the Palm Trees

Mekong

Keep dangerous palms off the street, Torbay told

Steven Morris

Saturday June 10, 2006

The Guardian

Since Victorian times palm trees have given an exotic touch to the Torbay area, adding credence to the resort's claim to be the English Riviera.

Yesterday, however, fears surfaced that their days could be numbered after the palms were declared too hazardous to be used in some seaside areas.

Landscape officers said the trees needed to be treated with caution as their sharp leaves could scratch faces or even eyes - though nobody can actually remember any nasty palm-related injuries.

Tim Jones, of the Devon and Cornwall Business Council, said the move could damage the image of Torbay, adding: "The nanny state has gone absolutely mad."

The controversy blew up when plane and flowering pear trees rather than palms were planted in a shopping street redevelopment in Torquay, which is part of Torbay. The town's chamber of trade questioned the move - and the very future of the palms, Cordyline australis.

Paul Osborne, senior urban design and landscape officer, wrote to the chamber: "The palms need to be carefully and appropriately used. They can cause maintenance problems and as they have very sharp leaves, need to be carefully used in the streetscapes, where they could cause injury to eyes/faces if inappropriately placed."

Yesterday he insisted palms would still be planted in Torbay - but only in suitable places such as seaside parks.

Torbay's mayor, Nick Bye, was unimpressed, saying: "I cannot see palm trees as a serious health and safety risk unless you are in the Caribbean and a great big coconut falls on your head."

The palm trees are used as the area's official emblem.

Colin Charlwood, a Liberal Democrat councillor, said the trees needed to be moved off the streets. "Having palm trees is a little bit like keeping tigers - they are beautiful but you wouldn't want them wandering the streets. The truth is, health and safety regulations mean we have to be mindful that they could be dangerous."

The "I cannot see palm trees as a serious health and safety risk unless you are in the Caribbean and a great big coconut falls on your head." line reminds me of a quote from the Chief of Merseyside Police (Liverpool UK) back in the early 90's relating to Cannabis, he stated "The only way that Cannabis can be deemed harmful is if 5 tonnes of it was to fall on your head from a great height"

I wonder if the Mayor is a distant relative?

Khwai,

Gotta agree, but I dont belive this madcap form of local goverment is limited just to the UK, but they do seem to be world leaders in the ridiculous.

I read the article again when in a frivilous mood and couldn't help thinking that Basil Fawlty the esteemed Torquay hotelier had in fact been elected to Torbay council, it is rather Pythonesque.

"I cannot see palm trees as a serious health and safety risk unless you are in the Caribbean and a great big coconut falls on your head."

I was walking the length of chaweng beach in my first visit to thailand when I came upon an odd looking thai, sitting under a big palm tree, making weird noises and wearing a detroit lions football helmet. I remarked to myself 'must be some type of menatl deficiency, but why the football helmet?' Just then a large coconut dropped from the tree and landed a couple feet away from the person. Everything seemed clear thereafter.

Archived