OhMyCod went live at long last!!!

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/ohmycod/swan.jpg

'Swan in the rushes', thats the pub! (my mate used to live only 10 minute walk away)....i cant say i recall the landlord, but definitly remember it as you say as a drinkers pub with some fine ales, we used to drink in the right handside bar, quite a few old timer greebos there too i recall, good crowd.....long time since i was in loughborough, he moved away, shame as its a nice little town.

• 2 weeks later...

We Finaly got our arses down there this weekend after being rained out last weekend.

I went for the Cod and Chips, her who must be obeyed went for the classic Thai Dish "Bangers and Mash"

The Cod was spot on, flakey fish in a light batter, the mushy peas were also to my liking, I do think that the choice of Mushy or Garden Peas with Fish and Chips may be confusing the staff more than the the Customers.

My only disappointment was the chips, a fist and a half of overcooked Lotus Special Frozen Crinkle Cut is a poor excuse for Chips, coming from a long line of championship winning Friers I will admit to being a Chip Snob :hubba:

The bangers and mash were devoured in a flash, wifey was impressed with the fact that when she asked for extra gravy it was forthcoming straigh away, and with her not being a Chip Snob my plate was also emptied.

The ambience of the place is totaly "British", 3 back to back episodes of Eastenders on BBCPrime, wifey was reading "The Sun", place was full of Brits and it was pissing it down. Fortunatley the service is not British, perfect Thai, not in your face but at your side as soon as you look up for a waitress, and Beer Laos is the perfect drink for Cod and Mushy Peas.

Since we were in the area, we decided to take a stroll down Soi Rambuttri, I admit it has been years since I was last there, and as I found out today where the Mrs and her friends used to chill during their uni days.

Walking up the soi I was checking out the bars, I was looking for a Sunday afternoon and on the way up the Soi one caught my ear, Van Morrison Brown Eyed Girl, on the return lap I heard Cream Strange Brew coming from the same bar, I'd found my Sunday. The music was all late 60's eary 70's, I think the most modern tune I recognised was Led Zep Ramble on, it was like sitting back home with my father 30 years ago.

If Soi Rambuttri is your cup of tea, this is not a bad lil chippy!

shygye said:

Which variety of potato makes the best chips? ::

Maris Pipers make the best Chips , King Edward are not bad either. Unfortunately the local potatoes are not up to scratch and are very inconsistant, too much starch one day, too much suggar the next.

As soon as a suitable supply of potatoes is sorced i will change at the drop of a hat.

Mekong, glad you liked most of it...hope to have a chat next time you are around.

Cheers

Chris

Archived