Robbed by a freelancer

Social_Norm

Bangkoktraveler said:

My wife would say you should have held the bitch and called the Tourist Police. The problem with this is many farangs don't keep a copy of their passport and visa or their passport on them, so they end up end big shit. The street girls know this. But if you cover this base, then call the Tourist Police and let them handle it. A trip to the hotel will verify she was there. Bust her. If you don't, she will only go on to bigger and better things such as drugging clients. Consider yorself fortunate.

Sounds like this bitch had balls. Return to where you picked her up. Stupid.

I would be vary wary of bringing the Tourist police into my business in this situation, firstly, as much as they "say" they are there to help, they are still Thai and subconsciously must look at us farangs as fools. Secondly, most of the guys who get robbed are probably dabbling in prostituion which is still very much illegal....all sorts of shit could be thrown back to you.

I have been robbed whilst walking along beach road early in the morning, a ladyboy crossed the road from the beach side, did the touchy feely thing and whilst I was trying to get her off me, I knew she had taken the 500baht from the back pocket. I could of caused a stink but decided to cut my losses and chalk it up to experience.

Now hard cash go's into the front pocket (much harder to take) and I very rarely take more than 2000 out with me....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PhilAnders said:

all due respect, Mate:

you just need to develop some better habbits with freelancers. not leaving that much cash in your pockets and certainly not leaving your mobile about. and best not to fall asleep.

I wonder what might have happened when you went back to the parking lot, had you asked her in a nice way:

'luv, did you take my telephone by mistake?'

though I understand your feelings which are rather natural given the circumstances, consider yourself lucky this particular incident did not get any worse. :beer:

Another thing about phones, I tend not to take out my all-singing, all-dancing UK phone out with me. Instead I've picked up a very old, very cheap phone from Ebay and buy a local sim card whenever I'm out there. Firstly calls are dirt cheap when calling home (compared to what I would pay on contract), Secondly, I dont think any self-respecting BG would be seen dead with my phone and secondly, if you did lose it....no problem

Gee, you paint the tourist police as the bad guys and also stand and watch as people take money from you. LOL, no wonder they like stealing from us--it's like taking candy from a baby. Well that's your choice so up to you, but I sure wouldn't put up with being walked on like that. The tourist police are there to help toursts. They do help where P4P is involved and I'm proof. I have used them and the outcome was very good (foolish FL fined and put in the slammer and cost me nothing but that's another story).

OP'er said: >>I woke up with the phone ringing and security asking if it was ok for the lady to go. I woke up very quickly and said "No, I need to speak to her. Tell her to come and see me". They just let her go.<<

Someone said: >>I would have taken hotel security WITH me before going to the girl again. <<

Would that be the same security guard who was paid 500 baht by the girl to give her back her ID and so she could leave in a big hurry? ::

Neo said:

Gee, you paint the tourist police as the bad guys and also stand and watch as people take money from you. LOL, no wonder they like stealing from us--it's like taking candy from a baby. Well that's your choice so up to you, but I sure wouldn't put up with being walked on like that. The tourist police are there to help toursts. They do help where P4P is involved and I'm proof. I have used them and the outcome was very good (foolish FL fined and put in the slammer and cost me nothing but that's another story).

Thankfully I've never had to use them. If I was in the Original posters situation I still woulnd't....I am in a foreign country, breaking countless laws, cannot speak the langauge and would be suspicious that the tourist police have my best intersts at heart, if we are talking large sums of cash, i.e. 50k then maybe it would be a different matter....

Also, I'm sure the TP do a fine job....its only the real police that are corrupt, yes ? ::

Gee, you paint the tourist police as the bad guys and also stand and watch as people take money from you. LOL, no wonder they like stealing from us--it's like taking candy from a baby. Well that's your choice so up to you, but I sure wouldn't put up with being walked on like that. The tourist police are there to help toursts.
There is more than a little justification to this. Some probably are honest, but many view law enforcement as a "for profit" activity. Unless something very very serious happened, I would avoid involving any branch of the MiB when you've had a bad encounter with a BG. Better to cut your losses.

to be honest i was robbed by a freelancer ,but not the way you were .....being a newbie and coming from humble suroundings myself in the states and because i have a heart....i took in one of her many sick buffalo stories and felt sorry for her and gave her around 4k..thinking she was a nice girl as well as her crying outside my room after knocking on my door first thing in the morning to find i had another girl in my bed...but all seemed to be forgivin after she got the cash....and it didn't add up till i got home and at the advice of my good friend (chicagoto)checked out this site..that's when i became much wiser ...thanks to you folks on here..i feel armed and ready for my next tour of duty coming up in august

do not worry.

Same thing happened to me 6 years ago.

She was a BG and I believed her story (baby sick) or maybe it was not a story......anyway seeing a woman crying turns me into a sucker -> gave her 5k and sent her home.

OTH: A friend of mine got robbed of his webcam-mobile-12k bht -watch etc..... by a freelancer was his fault......

Archived