APEC Card

Nervous_Dog

suadum said:

If you are a Yank, I fail to see the usefulness of this card...

Cheers,

SD

Although USA is an APEC member nation, USA does not participate in the APEC Business Travel Card program. So to be more precise , as far as American citizens are concerned, the card is not unuseful because they cant get one to use it in the first place :)

It is designed for business travellers who do a lot of business travel. ie: the guys in our bangkok office who have them make around 5 trips a month to malaysia, vietnam, singapore, hong kong,china etc... saves alot of headaches and red tape which simply get in the way of doing business as efficiently as possible.

I know all this guys. I was actually pointing it out to the few Yanks who were complaining that they cannot get it. But even for a Aussie, I see no advantage. It is simply a matter of protocol for us to get a visa, no dramas nor time wasted. Very few APEC countries require it of us anyway.

But it is useful if you are from a small country with citizens who have troubles getting visas. Definitely.

Of course if your local guys are only travelling within ASEAN, then the 30-day visaless entry program they have makes the card not much use either.

Just pointing out the limited usefulness of this program.

Cheers,

SD

OK - For indonesia, Aussies have to get a Visa before, or on arrival, which takes time (Up to an hour last trip)

With this, zip through,

Also the queues are MUCH shorter on APEC line, Don Muang has been busy lately. No extra paper work when you arrive.

Vietnam, see Indonesia, they will be on line for this later this year.

So for those places, not bad, if it's cheap and cuts out times waiting, go for it.

DOG

• 6 months later...

I put a mate of mine onto the APEC card as he a regular to LOS but also does business in Japan. The delay on the full card is 7 months due entirely to China they tell him. Incredibly slow with processing the application. He found out however you can get an interim card while waiting. Said it took about 6 weeks.

Archived