What are the best prices from LAX to LOS

Khun_Kong said:
OCgringo said:

, a FF ticket LAX-BKK is only 60K FF miles

OC

Until October, when UAL raises it to 90K!

UAL saver awards from North America to South Asia arent going up with the exception of First class. They will still be 60K for Economy, 90K for Business and 125K as opposed to 120K for First.

Here is the new award chart:

http://www.united.com/ual/asset/MP_awards_chart_060622.pdf

There doesnt seem to be any changes for economy tickets from North America to any destination on saver awards. The increases largely impact business and first class.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on how long you will be traveling, you can sign up for travelzoo email notices. I see Bangkok trips quite often for 10-14 days starting at $600-$1000 including hotel.

There is one posted right now for for 6 nights from LA for $699 plus taxes. I know guys that have used the last minute tours and only used the airfare portion, staying at hotels along lower suk and still coming out ahead of what they would have paid for airfare alone.

Good luck.

Interesting that the July deal is for travel starting in September :(

plus taxes and fees.....

Cathay Pacific's July Deal of the Month is available for outbound travel dates from September 1 through November 30 with a maximum stay of 30 days. Book online at www.cathaypacific.com/us. Starting prices are for Economy Class Travel and do not include additional government taxes and fees.

OC

plus taxes and fees.....

Yeah, I think it's a bit misleading when the airlines show the "fuel surcharge" on the tax portion of the ticket, rather than part of the advertised fare. As you can see below, the fuel surcharge is a the major part of the extra fees. The total comes out to $905.60.

Some airlines use this practice (which used to be illegal in the eyes of the DOT - now they seem to turn a blind eye), some apply it as a true surcharge, which technically means it would then be shown as part of the advertised base airfare. I think the reasons for showing it as a tax are for accounting purposes and so that the airlines don't have to pay travel agent commissions on that portion of the price. Even though CX has a no base commission policy in the US, they do pay commissions to their preferred agents.

USDOT policy used to be, "If your costs go up, then raise your fares." Simple.

[color:"blue"]Taxes and surcharges

The following are the taxes and surcharges applicable to your chosen itinerary

USD 7.00XY - USA - Immigration User Fee

USD 4.50XF - USA - Passenger Facility Charge

USD 14.50US - USA - International Arrival / Departure Tax

USD 5.00XA - USA - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Fee

USD 5.00YC - USA - Customs User Fee

USD 2.50AY - USA - Security Service Fee (September 11th Security Fee)

USD 14.50US - USA - International Arrival / Departure Tax

USD 143.60YR - CX Fuel / Insurance Surcharges

[/color]

OCgringo said:

problem with travelzoo etc is they have great "teaser" rates which do not include taxes , fuel fees , immigration etc, which can add $300 or so to the "deal"

OC

Yep, you'll have to look at each of the deals to see what additional fee's apply but since they also highlight airline offers such as the one mentioned above its a good source for consolidated information.

Keeping in mind the airlines also will advertise the absolute lowest fair available (fly out on a Thursday night at 2:30am, connect in bumfuck Egypt with a 3 hour layover sitting next to fat, smelly slob who hasn't taken a bath in a week, etc.) you still need to look at the detail of those offers also.

That being said www.farecompare.com is a great resource for flight information. You can set up an RSS feed with your departure/destination cities and it will show you the lowest fare bucket in your browser. Or just go to the site and check out the lowest fare buckets for the next 12 months in all classes. Of course you will need to play around with departure/return dates on the airline site to find the lowest price.

If any of you guys are mileage whores (like I am :)) you should also bookmark www.flyertalk.com and make that a regular stop. I've picked up enough miles on promotions, credit card purchases, etc to be able to fly business class to LOS without taking into consideration or using paid (actual flown) miles.

Archived