Thai Air Amex platinum

buffalo_bill

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's important to realize that Amex offers two categories of cards - charge and credit. The charge cards don't have a pre-set spending limit and an Amex Platinum charge card offers a huge number of unique benefits, but an Amex Platinum credit card isn't much different from a Visa or MasterCard "Platinum'' credit card. I don't know the details about the specific offer for the TG Amex Platinum credit card - there may be big ones in terms of earning FF miles - but don't think you're going to get an Amex charge card.

EP

:devil:

Stray, kwai_hai answered it for me. The annual fee is very high for me because I just do not use the added "features" that they give you. So not a value proposition for me. I see no extra "status" in platinum over gold. Now if it were a black one (Centurion), I may be tempted to go for it for the snob appeal. But the fees for that are US$2500/year :o

Cheers,

SD

What matters is NOT the interest rates IMO (even they're bound to be out of this world), but the annual fee as long as one is paying the full balance every month there's no interest to be paid ever. period. Same same with all credit cards the world over.

Of course if spending overseas the next thing that kicks in is AMEX's again out of this world exchange fee surcharge, but simply use another card while overseas & all will remain fine :)

Ok that black centorium card whatever sounds like a great card :cover:

Suadum ,

I don't think that the Thai Amex Platinum has anything to do with what is generally known as Platinum . They want to see a 900000 Baht yearly income ; looking at " normal " Platinum card spending habits this is just worth a laugh . I don't think at 900000 Baht gross income they would grant you a standard card in Europe in the first place . Amex (real) Platinum does not work with spending limits by the way , they have a clever software that permanently controls your spending pattern and as long as nothing extremely unusual happens , they accept your bills . The Amex "high value " Gold , Platinum etc etc certainly offer benefits but when do you ever need them ? They want your fee to make you feel special that's all . If Porsches would be half the price people would probably not buy them any more .

BuBi

diners club issues cards without spending limit to mostly anyone who dare to sign up.

no annual fee either if you're e.g. star gold status on SAS.

the color in that case is greyish whatever snob appeal that's give, but whats can be really useful is the free access to diners club lounges in many airports regardless of which airline you're on :rolleyes:

amex really is a sad 'deal' IME

yes I did have one for several years, but since it was basically useless I ended it when I moved away from UK even there was no costs associated with it apart of course if using it abroad :banghead:

every man and his dog have platinum cards these days.

the amex centurion (black card) is the new amex platinum.I think visa have superceded their platinum with the "infinity card" (also black in color)

aside from the fees, the perks,benefits,VIP stuff etc... of the centurion card are superb.

If your already an Amex card holder in Thailand (which I am), you get the new card and just pay the higher of the two annual fee's. For me it was a no brainer - I just want the miles - I use my Amex card all the time and accumulate enough miles for a first class ticket to London every year - just buying petrol, paying hotel bills, supermarkets, buying TV's etc etc.

I was also invited to have a platinum charge card but thought 25,000 baht or so was a waste of money for the little benefits you get - the travel incentives are not good and can be equalled quite easily if you know the travel business.

But probably the best thing for an expat in Thailand, is that if you had a relationship in another country (and I did), getting the card approved took all of 48 hours - never had any success with any other banks, not that I have really tried very hard - I just like it for peace of mind and using abroad for car hire and stuff like that. Probably the nicest thing though is that if shit happens and I need to charge 1,000,000 baht hospital bill to my card, at least this way, I dont need to suddenly come up with 1,000,000 baht like on my Amex charge card when the bill comes in.

Cheers

Archived