Discipline - Budget - Lifestyle

buddha

For me, yes, budget and some simple rules:

1. take x,xxx Baht with me for the evening

2. never take ATM or credit cards if I will be partaking in adult beverages

3. use public transportation if there is a chance that I will be partaking in many adult beverages

4. have a place in mind to crash if I can not make it back to the ranch.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is spending too much ?

Cut out the lady drinks for all the extra ladies,

Pick the one that interests you and send the other packing ,

have one drink , then one cola etc , you will be half as drunk !

Don't waste money taking Thai girls to expensive resturaunts ,

most would rather have street stall food :)

leave the ATM card at home , take a few 1000 baht in smaller bills , and have the ST-LT cash in the room for later , no need to have it in your pocket

hey but what do I know .......

OC

I dont want to sound harsh but I think you need to work on your self control. I can see that the first couple of weeks back would be a big time rush and maybe you go a bit overboard but on the other hand, it could become part of your routine.

I don't buy into leaving the ATM card at the house, the envelopes or any of that other stuff but thats just me. Why have the ATM card?? If you cant control your binges for lack of a better word, you may end up borrowing the money from someone else or jumping in a taxi to go home and get the card.

Have a plan and do your best to stick to it. If you go overboard one night, dont go out the next time to offset the extra cash you spent.

I'm sure you'll get settled in and find your groove.

:up:

Head down to Lolitas early in the evening for a beer and a bj to ease the craving, then have a quiet night in.

You need to get into a routine asap instead of living in holiday mode.

"hang out with english teachers. "

lol! that one should work!

"That is 132 Mornings / Year I dont have to get up for work.

Just that simple little thought keeps me in check. "

And that's one of reasons why we are not hiring.

I'm putting off next trip to BKK for five days, here as well looking as how much money is available unfortunately (Yet I always take out decent wads of cash when going out along a CC, really hate lacking of ways to afford entertainment )

As one poster wrote it already, it shouldn't be abt envelopes or hiding CC but gaining more self control... you can work on that...

I'd say: Make sure your life in Bkk is mixed, and that you have a social life outside of the bar/girl scene, some people to keep you honest... Live away from Suk and the party zones. If it gets down to only work and BG party life, it can pretty quickly spiral down to spending way too much money, chains of hungover days at work, and embarrassing questions about what you've done during the last six months, and all you'll be able to say is: "Ning, Nan, Nut, Noi, Nit, Nat..." For me (and what works for me won't work for all, or maybe even any one else), setting aside times to cut completely loose was the way to go, my 'big nights out' - and then wake up, clean myself up, count my remaining baht, and get on with a normal, non-BG week.

Good luck - I envy your position, having moved out of Thailand almost a year ago, I miss that kind of challenge...

Envelope.

The envelope is a great advantage.

So many just go out and spend. My punter friends seem to drink vast amounts of alcohol, then spend and spend. Lots of lady drinks for the gals - any gal that approaches them. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I'm sipping my first Heineken and they are on their 3rd or 4th drink.

And then there is the tipping at the bars. These same punters seem to think that a large tip is appropriate even if they never plan to go back to that same bar again. I just don't get that.

Myself, I take/bring an empty extra wallet. Here I put in a business card from the hotel I am staying at - just in case I get lost - and just enough cash for the evening. No credit cards or ATM cards in wallet. If lost or stolen, I am only out the money for one night. I do leave enough money in pocket for a cab or tuktuk ride back to hotel.

I just totaled up my expenditures for the first week in Bangkok and was shocked. I spent much more than I planned for the first week.

The good news is that I got a lot out of my system and will be asserting some self control errr....starting monday, yeah....monday....thats it.

I'm not going to punish myself, be upset, guilty, whatever...I'm here...exactly where I want to be...now I need to just live a little smarter.

Archived