Discipline - Budget - Lifestyle

buddha

Okay, I've been here a week and I knew that my first month was going to be filled with some decadent expenditure.

I do not want to get into the habit of spending too much time and money at the bars [again] and would like some input on how other members go about creating some discipline in their life - spending habits.

I am trying to maintain a rigid schedule that includes a work out, healthy eating habits, and enough fun time. So far I have been successful, but last night I pushed the envelope, and feel like a shit head right now. Spent too much, drank too much, stayed out way too late, woke up bleary eyed with a cutie lying next to me, at her apartment. Hung over I shook it off and blasted across town, to home, and into work. Just the activity i want to avoid.

I definitely want to make bangkok my home for a while. I find that when I am out and about I am a push over when it comes to lady drinks and once I am inebriated I am too willing to hit an ATM. I feel a certain pang of 'hey, you said you wouldn't hit the ATM tonight' but once the money is safely in my pocket I can justify just about anything, even a second trip. Crunching the numbers Thailand is still a great deal, but when you spend like an asshole, you are still an asshole.

Tonight I will stay in, this weekend I will start a new policy where I leave the ATM / Credit cards at home and my budget is what is in my pocket. I am doing ok, and expected a hectic couple of weeks, but I don't want it to snowball....especially since I promoted myself as someone who can maintain.

What do you do to maintain?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are on a budget or if you simply want to limit your expenses,

this is what I did when I stayed 4 months in BKK.

- Determine the amount you are willing to spend on an everyday basis.

Put the amount u are willing to spend everyday in an envelope

then put ATM cards/credit cards etc... and the other envelopes in a safe.

- Force yourself to limit your expenses by only using one envelope per day as a maximum.

-> if you did not spend all the content of an envelope, put it in a new one which will be used for "extras"

It worked for me when I was on a tight budget as the first trip I made to BKK 6 years ago I did not earn a lot.

Hope it helps

Still have fun but control where you spend it.

Happy hour can be great because the drinks are cheap. Maybe you may want to try happy hour drinks. Also, the girls are fresher and its give you time to do what needs to be done so you can home at a reasonable time.

Because you lived in LOS before, you can save automatically on the over charging bullshit. And you should know where to go to find nice chicks.

Probably the greatest problem is drinking. It fucks up the pocket, and when you go and try to get it up. If you make a compromise in that area you should be getting some real good tail.

Being you just arrived in LOS, expect the charm of the city to wear off in a few weeks (maybe longer). Which means you probably will continue to go to the ATMS and still drag your ass into work.

I like the envelope idea....I am definitely ditching the ATM card when out at night.

Note that it's not like I'm going broke, I just want to regulate and have a normal life in Bangkok. I guess I miss the days when i had 30 or so girls on my mobile and could call and get them over in a minute without entering a bar.

This weekend will be about getting as many freelancer numbers as I can.

I just re-read that and I can't believe I said 'normal life in Bangkok'

I personaly still use the envelope trick but now the amounts are a bit higher than 6 years ago, but as I know I am a big spender

I sometimes still have to do it.

(can not spend 30k a day.....would run out of money fast)

But if you do so you have to stick to it.

Mekong...that is a terrific way to look at things...I cannot believe how good that looks on 'paper'...

Okay...so far I will be adding 'Envelope Theory' and 'Mekong Calender' to my routine.

Now the idea would be to really make the most out of the 132 days. Good thing tomorrow is one of em.

I don't personally like budgetting, but maybe thats because I don't need too!

Always will carry ATM, credit cards with me as I never know when I might need their services ;)

However I'm known to watch my spending & since I'm not much of an alcoholic keeping the bar tab low in the bars ain't my main problem.

Of course happy hours will always be for the price conscious, but another tip would be to ask for the price list before you order & thus be aware what chosen drink will set you back before the tab arrives.

Pricing between the bars vary considerably even within SC ;)

Now have some fun you lucky Buddha :beer:

Archived