Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Posted on Nanapong:

Anti-U.S. Sentiment Rising, Another Shopping Mall Blast

Groups of men claiming to be members of the Anti-American Terrorist Force made sweeps of five international hotels on Sunday in the Central Java city of Solo, demanding to know if Americans were staying at any of them and that Americans leave the country, local media reported. The men left pamphlets warning that Americans and American allies should leave Solo if Afghanistan is attacked. In addition to the sweeps in Solo, anti-U.S. demonstrations have been held over the past few days, including Makassar on Sulawesi, where

some 1,000 people gathered on Saturday and burned a U.S. flag, and in

Surabaya. Separately, a bomb planted in a car went off at the Atrium Plaza shopping center in Jakarta on Sunday, damaging other cars but causing no injuries. An August 1 blast at the shopping center injured five people, including the bomber.

Comment -

Rising anti-American sentiment in Indonesia related to potential action against Afghanistan is likely to be seen in larger and violent

demonstrations, as well as harassment of individuals. Although leaders of moderate Islamic organizations have opposed the actions of the Anti-American terrorist Force, and government officials have warned against intimidation of Americans, for now authorities appear to be doing little to discourage the group's activities. Unfortunately, some senior government officials who also head Islamic political parties said early on the United States deserved the September 11 terrorist attacks. Recent statements that the imminent war on terrorism is not a war against Islam do not appear to go far enough to counter actions of radical groups. The Anti-American Terrorist Force is made up of members of known militant and hardline organizations in the city, including the Muhajedin and Hezbollah forces, the Front for the Defenders of Islam, the Al Islah an Jundullah forces and the Hawariyun and Salamah groups -- some of which warned Americans to leave the country last week.>>

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Posted on Nanapong:

Anti-U.S. Sentiment Rising, Another Shopping Mall Blast

There is no indication that the bombing at Atrium has anything at all to do with anti-US sentiment that is being rounded up by a handfull of oppurtunistic Kiai. This is the third blast at Atrium Plaza in as many years, the last being in August.

quote:

Originally posted by gadogado:

He like it so much he stayed nearly to the point where they were chopping off Christians heads and putting them on sticks.

Only, an extremely strong sanuker or a crazy man would stay there under those conditions. I guess he was a bit of both.

Regards

Gado

As Gado said,we like it so much (at least many of us),we'll wait for the ultimates limits to quit,but it will NEVER happen.

OK, from now on,no more blah blah,only the strongest balled sanukers will go , and others can stick to Phuket,Bali (those islands are so cooool) or BKK gogo bars. smile.gif" border="0

First category,selamat jalan (have a good trip).

Prosal

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Prosal ]

Just my view of things,

I don't think they will hunt down americans, but these incidents show that it's unwise to dress in stars and stripes.

Sweeping hotels in surabaya and asking americans to leave doesn't happen the first time the last years. Even the american embassy in jakarta closed its doors for a few days last year.

Even if america starts bombing afghanistan (what I wish they will not) the indonesians most likely will not kill americans.

But you should step back a little. After all you're going to bomb their fellow muslims and they aren't going to like it.

Right now (I can be wrong) I am more worried about flight schedules.

Carlton

PS: If you haven't been to indonesia before and happen to be american, maybe you wait what's happening and postpone your holidays in indonesia. If you only go to bali, don't worry and go. If you've been to indonesia before and think you know your ways, don't worry (but this I don't have to tell you).

I'm looking forward to my holidays in january.

Hi!

spoke to lucky recently...what do you guys living in Jakarta think about me coming from California to Jakarta right now? Would love to see the sights and meet the girls...let me know.....take off time is in 10 days

thanks

rob

Johobar@aol.com

Johobar,

Being an Aussie myself and being in JKT during the Timor invasion was not the brightest thing I've ever done. But, shit I just told people what they wanted to hear. I told them I was from New Zealand which I'm sure 90 percent of ppl in Indo dont know where it is.

Every time I check into a Hotel in Jkt I checkin in under an Asian name and I am a caucasian I still cant believe I get away with paying local rates. Mind you my indonesian is at interpreting level but usually get an asian buddy to check me in and pull some bullshit story off when I check out.

My advice is dont checkin to a 5 star go to a cheaper place and tell them what you want. Dont carry a visa card that has the red white and blue all over it. Use a Citibank and say you are from down under.

Amex is eveywhere anyway as well. The only ppl who will be able to track you is police and indo Secret Service. I myself have been track down all over Indonesia by Business Associates and its amazing how they can find you. So, I guess my advice is that the Sanuk scene will be and always will be great over periods like this as many expats are scared out. Jkt is already a Paradise and will be peaking during this period if you are ready to make a gamble.

Buy me a ticket and I will be your tour guide for the weekend. Countries can get a good renegade type of feel during times of unrest. Reminds me of when I use to live on the border of Russia. Thats another story ... Living on the edge ..

Anyway just do it !!

Regards

Gado

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, so after all this long thread, is someone actually staying in Jakarta and can give an own short overview about the situation in there? I read through all kinda pages about Indonesia, but most people talking are not staying in JKT or planning to go there the next time. I got a flight booked for next week but still am a little bit nervous. Thanx in advance, H.

There is a Rueters/ABC report that the USA govt. is gearing up for the evacuation of it's citizens. NOT just 'staff' but citizens.

IMO, Jakarta/Indonesia is not "worth a visit" just now...dusty

here's the report:

JAKARTA (Reuters) - The United States on Monday warned its citizens to prepare for a possible evacuation from Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim nation, after U.S.-led forces struck Afghanistan.

Foreign schools closed indefinitely on Monday and the United States and Australian embassies issued pre-dawn warnings to their nationals to stay at home amid fears of anti-Western protests.

"We have been contacted by the embassy. They told us not to leave our homes... and to await instructions for possible evacuation," one U.S. citizen told Reuters.

Extra police and a water cannon were posted outside the U.S. ambassador's inner-city home, but there was no sign of increased security outside the already heavily protected embassy across Merdeka (Freedom) Square from the presidential palace.

U.S. embassy officials could not be immediately contacted for comment. The mission was due to be closed on Monday for the U.S. Columbus Day holiday.

A special bulletin to its citizens from the Australian embassy said: "It is likely there will be demonstrations and other forms of protest against Western citizens and interests in Indonesia."

It did not refer to evacuation, but added: "Should any further steps be considered necessary in the light of reactions in Indonesia, citizens will be advised promptly."

There are several thousand Americans and Australians in Indonesia.

President Megawati Sukarnoputri has expressed Jakarta's support for Washington's war on terrorism.

But Indonesia has been racked by growing anti-U.S. sentiment after Washington focused the first phase of its war on Islamic Afghanistan, where Saudi-born militant Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind of the September 11 suicide hijack attacks on the United States, is sheltering.

About 90 percent of Indonesia's 210 million people follow Islam.

Although Indonesian Islam is generally moderate, some hardline groups have hunted for Americans to expel them and warned other foreigners to leave. Others have threatened to attack the embassy and hundreds of men have signed up to help defend Afghanistan in a holy war.

Indonesian authorities have warned they will not tolerate any retaliation against foreigners, but the ability of its poorly trained and under resourced police to guarantee the safety of expatriates is uncertain.

Frightened foreigners have been leaving Indonesia over the past few weeks after Washington authorized the voluntary evacuation of non-essential staff and dependents.

Tens of thousands of foreigners were evacuated from Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous nation, amid the political chaos surrounding the 1998 fall from power of autocratic President Suharto.

Copyright 2001 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archived