Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

quote:

Originally posted by Belem:

Is is worth the extra expense of taking a sidetrip to Jakarta from Thailand for?

In light of recent events I have encluded the latest US Embassy : Jakarta mailing FYI

People planning a trip to Indonesia should also check their respective embassy www.expat.or.id/info/embassy.html (I think)

Quoted:

Subject: US Embassy Announcement

The Embassy will be closed on Wednesday, September 12, 2001. The

closure is in response to the terrorist attacks in the United States.

The Embassy has no information that American facilities or citizens in

Indonesia will be targeted in connection with the attacks in the United

States. However, we remind all Americans that the U.S. Government has

received information that extremist elements may be planning to target

U.S. interests in Indonesia, particularly U.S. Government facilities,

and could also extend to U.S. visitors and other groups. In light of

this threat, all American citizens and hotel guests are encouraged to

take precautions to ensure their safety.

American citizens are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and

to take appropriate steps to reduce their vulnerability. Americans in

Indonesia should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all

required travel, and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources

with suspicion. In the event of an emergency, Americans may contact the

Embassy Duty Officer, tel: 021-3435-9000.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Adik Gede ]

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prosal,

Its good to see you been holding the post together with some good advice. It seems to lost a bit of focus since I last posted.

Others,

For all who intend to approach JKT on the Sanuk type calender. Myself, with over 30 visits under my belt both for business and pleasure both ST and Lt would like to say !

Approach JKT with an open heart and you will be absorbed by the ppl. Ignore the dirty smells and odours that surround you and get down and meet the real people. Pick up a phrase book and learn a few words. A few sentences in Indonesian can mean the difference to a one night stand turning into G/F LT relationship. I went to the extreme of learning 2 dialects and a little Bahasa Batak.

Going beserk on the town can be good for short stints but not if you live there. Its amazing how you can burn your bridges in a town of that many million.

On many occasions I have have ppl find me in JKT when I didnt even tell them the hotel I was staying or when I was going to be there. These girls can be incredibly smart and cute as well.

I know a few girls who I still stay in touch with who use to do the one night quick money earner. Some got bored of it as they never met the right farang or Bule I should say.

Many have a heart of gold.

I've end up getting sick a few times in Indo with a fever so bad I thought I was going to die. Each time a girl whom I'd most recently met nursed me back to health over the next few days. To me this meant they were nearly marrage material i.e "In sickness and in health" it does says .... I never did it but sometime regret the ones I let get away.

Some call me to tell me there new life story from Belgium, Germany, etc. Many find the happiness they are looking for so I am happy for them.

In Summary, Spend enough time there and JKT will suck you in. I still like to combine my trips will some island travel. Can't say I am a big fan of Bali but when speaking the language the people will open up there too.

After doing various trips to Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore. I will always return to JKT as I feel its my second home and I still feeling kind of special and unique in this place.

Just walk around block M and see how many female eyes you can catch on you at one time.

That together with their pretty smiling faces is enough to make a trip worthwhile for me.

Regards

Gado

Originally posted by gadogado:

In Summary, Spend enough time there and JKT will suck you in.

Thanks Gado, for this good emotional post about Indonesia,the country and the people, my feelings are the same and what a cold shower spendind 2 days in BKK after one month in JKT !.

Actually i'm thinking about next trip, and a possibility before staying in JKT :

Taking the Silk Air flight from Singapore to Manado before a Manado/JKT.

So have you ever been in Manado,it seems so far from everywhere ? (i heard the level of life was the highiest in Indo,and people -90% christians,whited skin- were very easygoing).

Anyway the girls are there are very well known in all Indonesia for being the priettiest,i met one in JKT,tall,white skin,curvey.., maybe it's worth a visit.

Thanks Gado,i wait for your advices,or from any fellow who could have been there.

Cheers

Prosal

Hi Prosal,

I've been to Manado one week and also went to pulau Bunaken (Marina National Park) for snorkeling. I heared that the girls from Manado should be the prettiest (white skinned) girls in Indonesia. I even saw some albino guys, but no girl.

Now for the nightlife there is some at the weekends, best you go to the discos. Sorry I don't remember the name. Don't expect it to be like in Jakarta, this city is smaller and the girls have to keep their face. One refused to come to the hotel with me, because she had a friend with her and need to bring her home. Next day she visited me at my hotel - and stayed overnight.

During weekdays it can happen that you go to the disco, and if it is not the hippest one in town, you are alone. Try the cinema/bar/restaurant center, maybe something developes there.

To me it seemed that in Manado the girls hunting for bule are the more educated ones. They are for free first but hit you for too much after some time and even send you emails. One was emailing true love to her soon to be husband while hanging out with me.

The other one refused to take taxi money in the morning but hit me via mail for a handphone.

And yes, on average the Minahasa girls are much prettier than the ones e.g. from batak or on flores.

Carlton

quote:

Originally posted by carlton68:

Hi Prosal,

I've been to Manado one week and also went to pulau Bunaken (Marina National Park) for snorkeling. I heared that the girls from Manado should be the prettiest (white skinned) girls in Indonesia. I even saw some albino guys, but no girl.

Now for the nightlife there is some at the weekends, best you go to the discos. Sorry I don't remember the name. Don't expect it to be like in Jakarta, this city is smaller and the girls have to keep their face. One refused to come to the hotel with me, because she had a friend with her and need to bring her home. Next day she visited me at my hotel - and stayed overnight.

During weekdays it can happen that you go to the disco, and if it is not the hippest one in town, you are alone. Try the cinema/bar/restaurant center, maybe something developes there.

To me it seemed that in Manado the girls hunting for bule are the more educated ones. They are for free first but hit you for too much after some time and even send you emails. One was emailing true love to her soon to be husband while hanging out with me.

The other one refused to take taxi money in the morning but hit me via mail for a handphone.

And yes, on average the Minahasa girls are much prettier than the ones e.g. from batak or on flores.

Carlton

Carlton

Thanks very much,it seems you know very well indonesia (Minahasa country,Flores..)and it's refreshing to talk about other things than JKT nightspots.

Going to Manado is for the moment only an idea,as i don't dive so only appreciate surrondings,atmosphere and weekend nightlife.

Of course apart from JKT and in all Indonesia,weekdays can be very quiet for sanukers (Bandung was empty from 9 pm when i was there on a Tuesday and Wednesday,exept few dragons in North Sea),but so many cities deserve the visit for someone who love this country.

Anyway thanks for it,and i hope you can continue to inform us about others subjects than the eternal Block M,Bat's or Tanamur questions.

Prosal

Prosal,

What Carton says here is correct. The Menado

women are known for being extremely attractive and get this one "famous for giving sexual pleasure" Only meet a couple off these beauties in JKT I have never had the on site performance appraisal.

As I usually use my holidays to explore other destinations in Asia, I have unfortunately wiped out destinations that take 2 or more days to get to. Maybe just getting lazy but when work is over I want to hit a beach that is beautiful and easy to get to.

Given the old Uni holiday again I would love to explore this region. I think it is one of those areas you can pull a nice village girl from but you might have to marry her thought. Just joking, I'm sure it has its section of night life.

Actually, I refused a job up in Malacca straits a few year ago. Regreted it ever since a who friend took the job sent me various emails regarding sanuk fun he was having there. He like it so much he stayed nearly to the point where they were chopping off Christians heads and putting them on sticks.

Only, an extremely strong sanuker or a crazy man would stay there under those conditions. I guess he was a bit of both.

So if Malacca has got some fun sanuk Menado has to.

Regards

Gado

I don't know about you guys, but i never travel with the idea what sex i will find in a place. I just travel and with a most positive attitude, and a heart enclined towards romantic delusions, things never fail to happen anywhere in Asia. As my name doesn't indicate, I usually spend 3 or 4 months every winter over there, and usually, stay only in Pattaya up to 2 weeks at a time at most before i need to pack a bag, get out, and explore. It's the unexpected that's really exciting. I am not judging others on this board, but i sense too many guys want to make sure where they can get their paid sanook, with as little time as possible wasted in between. sadly, these moments, IMO, are the ones worth traveling for, sex or no sex. In a nutshell....

Hi pattaya, don't get me or many of the other guys wrong. Me I'm not travelling because of sex or more politely said sanuk, but it's nice to experience both, the country and all of its sights, and the erotic scene. Been to India some times ago and at my first trip found nearly nothing to make my evenings spice as a south-east curry. Beautiful, wonderful country, but sipping cold Kingfisher with some other guys every night wasn't that much fun all the time. At my second trip I prepared with the information I got forehand from WSG, had a fantastic erotic indian experience with a beauty in Mumbai. It's a part of trip-preparation, like reading travelbooks or surfing the newsgroups. Bye, H.

Hi Pattaya127,

I'm not lucky enough to have that long time available. But as you have your special relation with pattaya I would only sometimes leave out Jakarta. As cheap as sex can be there I have some problems to distinguish between paid and free sex. Especially as I prefer to give some gift instead of money when I stay more than one day with a girl. E.g. charge her prepaid mobile phone, buy a pair of shoes she long wanted...

And why the hell I visited Japan where I could not afford the prices of their sex service? Must have been my friends who made me going there.

If it wasn't for the sex you wouldn't go to Pattaya, right?

And look for others who have only a few days away from their wife, of course they don't want to spent that time in Iran.

It's nice that you are that adventures, hopefully we get your advice on less known places.

Carlton

[

Well, i'd say Pattaya never ceases to amaze me, it's the whole crazy package that i like, and an incredible microcosm/study of life and people. It's one of the few places in the world where i could have a good night sleep, get up around 6am, and still go out to 2 or 3 discos. rather than give more reasons why i like it, it's easier to just say it is home for me, I feel comfortable there, and unlike many people, I think it is a thai city, but a lot more practicable than BKK, and the region is full of spots to visit with a bike. I probably meet less girls in Pattaya in a whole winter than a 2-weeks vacationneer in LOS. I rarely barfine or pick up freelancers in discos, as i have had a g/f for the last 2 years, and if no g/f, i never fail to meet a nice or fun person who is not a worker, or at least not on the greedy side of things, and "clicks" with me. This may not be everyone's Pattaya, but that's mine and it goes a long way to make me feel at home, you'll agree. Once you are used to having good things come your way, you'd rather wait for them to happen, instead of paying for it. I also believe it's based more on positive attitude than length of time. I've been in Pattaya and other places for only a week or two, in the past, and the same pattern happens, met someone that made all the difference between s/t, l/t and memories of something special. i think there are many like me, I just write about it and they don't.

Archived