R.I.P. Gator

So he beats people with which´s opinions he disagres. Waht a fine bloke. All I can say is good ridance.

Yes, he punches them, you cheer their death. Big difference?

...perhapes I didn't full well explain it, and perhapes you aren't familiar with the Texas Lone Staar (correct spelling) Bar...allow me to elaborate. Basically, it is a good old boy's heaven/haven, the guys there very conservative. Almost all ex Gis. The Brit in Question came in, young, know it all type, chip on his shoulder, dirty, back pack, belonged on KSR, but o.k. He started talking shit, and getting increasingly more personnal in his comments.

He started with the current mess, then went back into Vietnam etc...now regardless of what you or I may think of it all, there is a boundry you don't cross, and this ass pupet crossed it. You and I may disagree on politics, but we don't get personnal, this guy did, and singled out an older fellow, who was pissed, but too old and worn out to fight (which is why the punk selected him, he sensed weakness) Gator and a few other suggested the guy leave, the guy was settling up, and ready to leave, he then made a few comments to Gator, who would have probably let it go. But, he used the word Yank.

Now to me, yank is just a word to call an American, to the guys from the south, it is a serious insult. Maybe like calling a Brit a cunt? or a black man the "N word." so Gator clocked him. No doubt, you have your fuse, and can have it lit as well, we all do. So the fight (wasn't much of one really) was over a few personnal insults, not just a political disagreement. Gator, and the crowd in this bar are usually very good guys who can tolerate a different opinion, as they say, it is what we all fought for. But as I said, this guy stepped over the line. You are welcome to express a difference of opinion, but no need to get personnal. He was a great guy, who did a lot of good things for people, some of them strangers, and that should be noted.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because said guy was one of those Brits who found sport in looking for a fight and he got it (was a ball-less wonder for picking on an old man and got what he deserved!). I was not there, but heard the story from others and bar employees and it was all the same story. The version he told Hippie was sanitized.

Gator may have had a temper, but never threw a punch that was not earned, at least that I have seen. I am proud to have been able to call him my friend, even if we did not see eye-to-eye on everything.

Now I must ask why you supposed gentlemen insist upon speaking ill of the dead -- especially in a thread dedicated to the man. Didn't your Mamma raise you any better? (I know, stupid question as the answer is evident)

Regards,

SD

PS -- Alholk, "All I can say is good ridance" (post 518053) certainly IS cheering the death of somebody (post 518111), as it means that you are happy they are gone. Maybe your English skills are insufficient to understand this. I am a gentleman and will give you the benefit of the doubt, tho' in my heart I know better from reading your posts.

Palad_khik, septic is also a slang term for Yank. I understand the roots, so I know that it is usually not insulting, just trying to be funny. But a lot of the less well travelled and older guys find it *very* offensive. And depending upon how it is said, it is offensive. Lot's of words like that in every language. As I understand it, the Brit was pushing hard to start a fight that day, so I can imagine how he used the term Yank.

And I am sure you are doing everyone a favour by not coming to the Square. Thanks for that.

All this bullshit and post mortem critique aside.. This is for Gator. I will miss the guy for his stories, lies, funny ear, and sense of humour. Gator was a good "bloke" (nobody freak out it's british slang and never offended him) and I bought him a beer in my time.

Didn't know him well, but did laugh quite a bit in WS with him and George over topics ranging from a hot piece of ass to the worst his father ever spanked him including the kind of buckle on the belt used. OUUUUUUCH.

Gator was a true character, and he was not aggro, or some insecure guy looking to pick a fight. I note this matter because of the unwarranted pacifist preaching we've received. The real core of a barfight story here involving Gator is just about respect.

Gator no doubt reacted if he was not treated with due respect in kind to the person, as described in OH's post. Manners and respect are important things to learn in life, and that will keep you out of alot of fights if you are a pacificist.

Best

the_numbers

I considered Gater my best friend in bangkok when I visited there,I met him in old 3 roses bar and we went bar hoppin for over 5 years,his e-mail address was (coonassgater @yahoo.com)we use to go to hogs breath,tonys,pams, outside nana,soi 33 to eat,he was a real character and I will miss him,you had to really know him well to understand him,sometimes it was hard to distinguish between the facts and the fiction but it was always entertaining to be around him until he got really drunk.RIP Gater

Archived