R.I.P. Gator

I am sure that quite a few of you knew Gator, a fixture in the Washington Square scene and a 35+ year Thailand expat.

Well, I am remiss in telling you that he died of a sudden heart attack 20 July. His burning was today, followed by impromptu wakes at a couple of Square bars.

One was sedate and respectful. One degraded into a bell-ringing, panty-less girl soiree that I am sure Gator would have appreciated.

Hats off to the old tyme and well-connected expat crowd, who have aided his widow in her time of need and have called in favours and made phone calls to ensure that she (who was never his legal wife, but still with him for many, many years) gets his pensions and insurance. Even if it means doctoring documents, twisting arms, etc., -- only a formality really, as she deserves it. And the VFW came through with some much needed help for the funeral too, even tho' Gator was not a member (he was a decorated Merchant Marine, but not a combat vet). Well done lads.

The best toast of the night was thus: "Even tho' he was a useless as a *second* set of tits on a bull, he was a good friend and we'll miss him!"

I second that. Rest In Peace, you crochety old coot! I'll miss your entertaining stories, even if they were mostly bullshit.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- Hippie, I believe you have a decent pix of Gator. I think it appropriate to post it in this thread, if you will.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeasus H. Fucking Christ in a bowling Alley with a 7/10 split! How the fuck can you top a guy like Gator? Fuck, gone? I just hope he went fucking a hot 19 year old, or right after he kicked the crap out of some anti American talking sack of shit!

Gator-A.jpg

Remember last year, right after Thansgiving, he punched the shit out of some loud mouth Brit talking shit about the US Of A!? The next day, I bought him a beer, and he retold the story amounted to "...I'd have let it all go, but the Som-bitch called me YANK (Gator was a true Southern Rebel), I ain't gonna hear that and let it go!..."

I remember telling him I'd quit drinking, he said "...what again? damn boy, you going commie on us in here...?" He then looked at my favorite waitress, the next possible Mrs Hippie, and said "honey, you know you beddin' down with a Jane Fonda loving Clinton voter?" SHe looked puzzled, said "arai Na?" and he just mumbled "never mind, we don't pay ya to think..."...

He was telling some war story, I decided to try and top it with one of mine, after words he said "is that true?" I said "not a word" and he said "neither was mine!" ah god what a great guy... I'll miss the old son of a bitch!

Yup, that's a real pix and Hippie's stories are 100% accurate. One tuff old boy...I've seen him kick some serious ass, after he laid his walkin' cane up on the bartop LOL! Jing jing.

I'll miss his freindly Cajun drawl "Well, howya dooin' big mayn?" greeting whenever he saw me.

Another colorful character of Bangkok gone. Place used to be full of 'em. Not many left now.

I saw him two days before he passed. Looked fit as he ever did, and wasn't that old (61, I believe). :dunno: I am happy he went fast. Easier that way.

Cheers,

SD

Oh yeah. In other Wash Sq news, "Generous" George Pipas finally had his back surgery in the States. He is still in pain from the operation, but says it is a different kind of pain, so he's optimistic that the surgery was successful. He plans on being back on schedule in October.

Cheers,

SD

Archived