Best way to find a condo?

drogon

Property companies are usually very good. Unlike the West (or America anyway), the property owner pays the tab (usually 1-2 months rent/payments), so there is no conflict of interest (where in America the agent can rep either the seller or the buyer, sometimes both at once!).

Cheers,

SD

If you rely on a broker, she/he will try to sell you a solution to her problem, not yours. There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent to a multiple listing service here, so you best bet is still to get out and walk around, taking note of "for sale" signs in your preferred neighborhood.

Depends, we have found 2 great places through a broker, which we wouldn't have otherwise, plus the price is very keen. He knows the area we want and goes about his job which to make sure everyone wins, if we the renter wont pay high price her gets nothing, if the owner is asked to low, he wont rent.

I have never lived in the Suk area, always north of it, or South, so of the 4 places I've had, 3 by finding myself, and now 1 by broker.

However your right in that the concept of real estate brokers and rent collectors is a unknown here

DOG

• 4 weeks later...

My condo, although in Jomtien, was found through a friend of my (now ex) girlfriend. I pay about 60-70% of the market rate if it were through a high street agent. My contract is legal and I have no issues with the small investmanagement campany which handles a number of properties for a Japanese investor.

I suggest getting a few agents to do the donkey work for you then you go around those areas you like and see what is on offer directly. Any medium sized agent should have a searchable online database.

I may also get a Thai you trust to go through local Thai papers or to translate notices you cannot read (take a digital camera !) which may open up additional opportunities.

Archived