Crisps?

Lusty

quote:

Originally posted by rusty:

Can you buy Walkers cheese and onion crips in Los?Last time I had to take my own stash.

Definitely not! When I asked for suggestions from my colleagues for goods which my students could try to import as a business project, this was the most popular request! I don't know what the regulations are on this at all but there must be severe restrictions as there are not really any imported crisps available and the range of flavours available is also very localised. No Salt & Vinegar, Pickled Onion or Roast Beef, let alone the more 'exotic' flavours.

Bring a few cartons and you would sell them in 5 minutes at the Bull's Head or Shenanigans! The local girlies would probably still prefer Pez or Chupa Chups though!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by THAIHOME:

What we call potato chips, the Brits call crisps, what we call french fries, they call chips.

You get used to it.

Excuse me but french fries are those skinny bits of shit that Mac D's and the like sell. Real chips are about ten times thicker as any true northern brit will tell you.

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

The local girlies would probably still prefer Pez or Chupa Chups though!

LG

The hell you say....

Why on earth would the ladies want those? I cannot imagine some sick bozo wanting to rot those lovely smiles by handing out those sugary treats.

Unless he is a dentist maybe.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Sarisin ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sarisin:

The hell you say....

Why on earth would the ladies want those? I cannot imagine some sick bozo wanting to rot those lovely smiles by handing out those sugary treats.

Unless he is a dentist maybe.

Hmm, I alway wondered whether that Steve Martin character in 'Little Shop of Horrors' was based on you!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

O.k. let me see if I understand this...chips are thick round slices of potatos that have been fried? o.k. think I understand now. By the way, Fish and chips, is it a London thing, or indiginous to other parts of Britain? Also, what is the traditionally used fish for this dish?

Eeeh, it's an education this list, innit? You are probably being deliberately slow on the lipstick hoping to incur some 'dumb American' ranting - sorry wrong thread! Real chips are not round and think, they are like bigger, thicker French Fries. A bit like British penises in relation to their US counterparts!! They are generally not fried to a crisp either - probably the best example in Bangkok can be found in the 'Fish & Chip Shop' in Soi 23, where they are partially fried and left to soak up the grease and then fried again to order. Health food it isn't! Apart from some very decent fish, local Red Snapper and imported cod, they can be enjoyed with home made meat pies, battered sausages, mushy peas and the almost obligatory bread and butter and a MUG of tea. Malt vinegar, rather than ketchup, is the preferred condiment.

The fish & chips served in London is probably the worst you can find anywhere in the UK, partly because it's so far from the sea and partly because virtually every chippie in London is run by Greeks or Chinese and when it comes to fish & chips they really don't have a clue.

It must be tough coming from a country so starved of culinary imagination that they have to steal their national dishes from France and Germany!

And before anyone accuses me of being anti-American I would have to point out that there is a bloke on this list who I sometimes bump into around town and say 'Hello' and he's American!

LG

PS Old Hippie - next time you're in town I'll take you out and treat you to a proper fish & chip supper.

Ah, I'm more like the plant. Feed Me.

While speaking about French Fries or Chips.....

Did you know that Larry the owner of Rock Hard buys about a half dozen or so large portions of these towards the end of the evening at Rock Hard for the patrons on-hand? I think he gets them from Woodstock, but, boy do they hit the spot. Great drunk food.

Equally very edible in Rock Hard is Khun...., oops, sorry, this is the Food Section, but no one mentioned seafood yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Sarisin:

Did you know that Larry the owner of Rock Hard buys about a half dozen or so large portions of these towards the end of the evening at Rock Hard for the patrons on-hand? I think he gets them from Woodstock, but, boy do they hit the spot. Great drunk food.

That's the only reason I go in there really!

LG

Archived