What're u listening to?

Fidel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suadum,

At the moment, Alvin Lee, Goin' Home, off a streaming radio station. I've been getting into that 'Dengue Fever' CD (both their albums on it) that I got from our mutual friends in Malaysia when there. Also Stevie Ray, some older stuff I happened onto and copied off the net, blues, rock and jazz. I like to mix it up during the day between stuff I have and stuff off different internet radio stations. I do like the radio stations as they have specific genres you can easily tap into for an hour, then switch to something for a different flavor. If you like Bass playing at its best, try to find Brian Bromberg's latest (or the latest I have anyway). Awesome bass player, jazz and some different stuff.

Now 'Foxie Lady' Jimi! :)

Cent

And have been playing Lou Reed's "New York" album and some assorted Furs, and Femmes, plus some Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits thrown in. A great road trip mix...play it at extreme volumes, sing out loud, and be incredibly -- neigh, visciously -- cynical LOL! :grinyes:

Mr D, I don't know if you visit the Dimeadozen site, but now that you are presumably spending more time at home .......

Recent acquisitions from this rich source have included 2 great Cohen recordings from the 70s - one of which features several things I've never heard - 15 minute blues songs!! - and some old classics played at soundchecks! The other is of a gig in Israel where Cohen sings happily about a subject close to many of our hearts - 2 being better than 1 - before doing 'Sisters of Mercy' and ends up singing 'We Shall Not Be Moved as the audience try to battle through the troops to get closer to the stage! Great recordings, too.

I also downloaded a fantastic 7-CD Tom Waits set, 'The Waitswatchers Awards' where this total fanatic has compiled his favourite performances of just about every song Waits has recorded, chosen from just about every show he's ever done. Fabulous stuff!

There is also a superb classic-period Furs DVD, pro-shot from an '84 Barcelona gig.

It's all free, it's all good.

Lots of jazz there, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spent the weekend educating the Wife all about the Madchester scene of 1988-89.

As a Teenager I lived on a diet of Sabbath, Purple Zeppelin and Floyd as probably most people of my generation did, but in the late 80's as a 20 something we were looking for something new.

What Madchester did was mix the Chicago "House Scene" with the vibrant Indie scene that was happening in Manchester back then and the results were the precursor to the modern dance / rave scene of today.

Even now 18 years on Gerald Simpson's (A Guy Called Gerald) Track Voodoo Ray still sounds fresh and IMHO it was the track that set the standards that everyone tries to meet.

If you ever get the chance, try to see the Movie "24 Hour Party People", it just about sums up the era it contains the classic line "They are not applauding the Band They are applauding the DJ" I think it was 1988 that Hacienda had their first Ibiza party .. the rest is history.

I think in 1989 my old Uni UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) had more applications than Oxford or Cambridge it was happening that much.

Of course the fact that 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine had just hit the shores of the UK may have clouded my judgment at the time, but happy days. My Twin Daughters who are still in Manchester (and older than I was back then) inform me that an E is cheaper than a Beer or a Shot nowadays.

Happy Days.

Recent Tunes ... All I can say is if you don't like Stadium Arcadia by RHCP you don't like music, the best double album since Hawkwind released Space Ritual

SD.

Tom Waits is great music for chasing lines down the highway across America in an automobile... the blacktop goes on forever especially the flat part (Midwest) "Goin' Out West" is one of the best.

I'm sure you know this well by now :D If only the country wasn't just a big checkered board filled with Wal*Mart's and Chili's maybe Tom's music wouldn't ring so perversely in opposition to modern america :doah:

He's got a new record due out in short time..

I've been going way back and all over lately :

Tommy Johnson

Porter Wagoner

Blind Boys of Mississippi

Ernest Tubb & the Texas Troubadours

Cecil Taylor

The Fall

and "Too Drunk to Fuck" DK .. classic..

Cheers,

theNumbers

I

Ahhh, the DKs! I have their cover of "Viva Las Vegas" on one of my mix CDs. Lyle Lovett has been getting some play from me this weekend.

Have been listening to some Parliment-Funkedelic too and there is a Honda minivan ad using P-Funk music (that is just soooo wrong). Bootsie is amazing and George Clinton is an incredible artist/producer/composer.

Someone last week mentioned Bad Brains, so I have also been listening to them & Fishbone ("Ewe-gee-ell-why, you ain't got no alibi. You're UGLY!" and of course "You're nothing but a little lyin' ass bitch! You know she says she loves you but you know she really doesn't...The lyin', piss off, sack of shit, slut trash can, scumish dirt bag... Biiiiiiiiiitch!!!!!). 55555555555

Bastard friends in Vegas called me from the Pogues show at House of Blues -- the original lineup is touring now. I saw the ads when I was there and wanted to stay for that one! But no chance. They did keep the phone open so I could hear "Turkish Song of the Damned." Good, but they are still bastards for the repeated SMSs saying how good the show was... :onfire:

And finally: :rip:CBGB :( How many of us have stories about that place? I saw Blondie, Siouxsie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Plasmatics, Patti & Fred Smith (and more) there. A true icon for our generation and will be sadly missed. I hate "gentrification."

cbgb_5.jpg

Cheers,

SD

PS -- LongGun, thanks for the tip!!!!

Guest lazyphil

<>

The mrs and me were blazin' cross the midwest from chicago to wilderness minnesota 2 years ago, i remember while going thru milwaukee, wisconsin in a downpour (trying not to get eaten up by farking great jugganauts :help: the tom waits lyrics from 'diamonds on my windscreen' entered my head....

Wisconsin hiker with a cueball head, wishing he was home in a wiscosin bed, 15 feet of snow in the east,colder then a welldiggers ass (or someting like this) :cool:

SD, just got a reminder in the post from the cambridge corn exchange for up coming gigs for the next few months, MOTORHEAD are doing the yearly visit in november, asked her indoors if shes up for a repeat look, after last year ear drum damage she said 'one time enough teeruk' :(

And finally: :rip:CBGB :( How many of us have stories about that place? I saw Blondie, Siouxsie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Plasmatics, Patti & Fred Smith (and more) there. A true icon for our generation and will be sadly missed.

There's in the album " Live at CBGB" the BEST live performance of Mink de Ville (now Willie de Ville), with 'Cadillac moon'.

Curious that among the zillions brits posting here nobody talk about the late 70s "brit pub" bands like Ducks de Luxe, Dr Feelgood, Dave Edmunds, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Wild Angels, ect ...

:dunno:

Archived