All Leagues But Premier League Discussion

ChristianTroy

I just want to put in a plug for the Coca Cola Championship this season which has developed into an absolutely cracking battle with the lead changing hands 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks. Sunderland have taken 26 out of the last 30 points, including 7 out of 9 in 3 successive games against the current league leaders (!) and we're still nowhere near the top 2 and not even that confident about a playoff spot.

It's good fun though, and the top 7 have all got a fair amount of history in the top flight.

One of my favourite seasons in the old 2nd division was probably 1974-75 - no playoffs then, just top 3 straight up - Sunderland lost at Villa on the last day and Norwich went up instead.

Funnily enough, the 1st division that year was won by Derby County who have gone back to the top of the CCC tonight, while the 2nd division was won by ........ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974-75_in_English_football#Second_Division_2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

74/75.....what a great Season.

my first visit to Old Trafford........

even though we were in the 2nd Div we still had the highest average attendance that Season.... :chili:

i'm cheering on Sunderland LG.

Keano is a hero of mine and i think he has done well so far.

a total novice in management and going to a Club with a proud history is not easy for your first job.

Sunderland are in a good position,still 30 points to play for and if they keep up their current form they will be right up there.

you only have Wolves to play who are in your position.

and you play 5 of the bottom 7 Teams.

and the top 2 play this Friday and the result might help you in some way.

Birmingham and you win then 3 Points difference between you and Derby.

Derby win and only a Point difference between you and Birmingham.

and a draw would also be good for you.

I think Villa and Sunderland were averaging around 50,000 as well, some great battles between the 3 of them - one classic on MOTD at Old Trafford which I think your lot won 3-2.

I really wasn't impressed with Keane's appointment, bringing in a complete novice when we were in such a dire mess just seemed desperate to me. Given that he and Quinn didn't exactly get on following the McCarthy World Cup debacle they have managed to form an excellent working partnership, without talking too often apparently!

Quinn stays totally out of team affairs and gets on with the PR side and sorts out the backing for whatever Keane asks for - though I think they have managed to show a profit in disposing of almost the entire 15-point bag of shite from last season and replacing it with a very tidy little squad indeed. Little is very appropriate as most of the midfield and forwards are under 5'10" which has meant a total turnaround in how they are actually playing football, very much in the style of the teams Keane spent his career in, though, as yet, well short in the talent department.

Having learned his trade from Clough and Ferguson, he has introduced a hitherto unseen professional approach at every level, players suited and booted, staying in a hotel together the night before HOME matches, team-building breaks - white-water rafting this week - and all the kind of attention to detail that the supporters deserve after some of the shambolic goings on we've tolerated over the years. Team spirit is as good as it was in Reid's heyday and the buzz among the supporters is bordering on stunned disbelief. 8,000 daft grins heading off to Barnsley on Saturday, could have been a lot more if they'd had a bigger ground.

Plenty of other United links with Liam Miller starting to fulfil his promise and the excellent defensive record depending very much on Simpson and Evans. The former has already said he wants a permanent move, Evans may well stay with us for a year's regular Premier experience - what a prospect that kid is, SJ, he will be pushing Ferdinand and Vidic for a regular place at the end of it.

Life is canny.

Further evidence that the man means business on Friday when he left behind 3 players (2 definite midfield starters plus the sub goalie because they were 5 minutes late for the team bus to the hotel! Given that we had 2 other first-choice midfield players injured, this seemed like something of a risk but the rest responded and we won comfortably 2-0.

Great day out, the sort you can't get in the Premier because of ticket allocations but clearly Barnsley were happy to have 8,000 of us in an 18,000 crowd - from a revenue point of view - even if the police seemed intent on making us a little less welcome.

Onwards and upwards. Wolves and WBA hopefully to draw today.

I am a proud and happy fella, my 2nd division team is performing so well this year, a very young team with unknown players only leading the table with only 9 games to go! 27 points left to get and already 11 points ahead from the 4th, first 3 go up to the Bundesliga!

1 Karlsruher SC 55:27 54

2 Hansa Rostock 37:20 47

3 MSV Duisburg 44:29 43

----------------------------

4 Kaiserslautern 34:20 43

First gets 1 Million Euro bonus and is allowed to play at the premiere cup in 2007 which includes the Bundesliga Champ, Cup Winner, 2nd division Champ and the teams who came in 2nd and 3rd at the Bundesliga. That is another guranteed 2 millions and if they'd win that cup 4 more millions!

This year the team had one of the smallest budgets of all 2 leagues with 3.6 million and look what they have done! Woohoo!

Archived