25yrs since Irish Hunger Strike

Nervous_Dog

to be fair to americans, it's not just in the usa that fundraising goes on. it goes on in any country that has an irish community, including mainland UK and other european countries. the annoying bit is that probably 99% of those that contribute to the "cause" have never set foot on the island or understand in the slightest what the troubles meant to people who lived through it. but when you talk to them, they're all experts!

Some of the support areas for Paisley/UVF/UDA.

Have You amnesia or ?.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sinsin2, what gibberish? I'm talking about recent history, 30 years

For anyone with even a superficial knowledge of history...Your reply has confirmed my original post.

Why 30 years and not 40.

Do yourself a favour and read about English history,then British before pontficating about Ireland.

The Potato Famine was a European Wide Epidemic known as Phytophthora infestans

not specific to Eire. But for some reason people with little reasoning wish to blame it all on the British

I agree with You on everything except your spelling of POTATOE.

TEXASCITY,

I feel that because of your "internet reading"`You have an unfair advantage in this thread.

As the Dogs'Bullox only has copies of The Sun..this places Engerland posters at a disadvantage.

This is unfair...to those who bore the white mans burden for so long and for so little thanks.

I have it on reliable authority ( a bar on Soi 6) that during the World Cup, Wayne Rooneys left nut was slightly inflamed.

This as You know affected his balance and therefore cost us the World Cup.

It was a Facist plot.

The World Cup should be replayed.

Why is there no POLL.

Some of the support areas for Paisley/UVF/UDA.

Have You amnesia or ?.

i would never deny loyalist groups also have people fundraising for them, but it's probably totals about 1% of what misty eyed americans sent the IRA.

personally i've never met a ghanian/sth african loyalist so i can't comment.

anyway the "war" is meant to be over so it's all history now. republicans will always remember the hunger strikers as martyrs/heroes. unionists (myself included) will always remember them as murdering scumbags who starved themselves in a briish jail and died in a british jail.

Texas, for your next trip here buy a copy of

History if The Malay Kingdom of PATANI

Ibrahim Syukri (An alias)

Very interesting read, written in Patani, and goes into the full history.

Like all these things it's not really about religion but about teerritory, Northern Island being part of Eire, Patani not being part of Thailand.

The religious parts are delt in later for a simplification process by both sides.

"Your Catholic then you must be with us!"

Too bad if your a italian imigrant ending up in NI!

DOG

The Potato Famine was a European Wide Epidemic known as Phytophthora infestans

not specific to Eire. But for some reason people with little reasoning wish to blame it all on the British The Irish Potao Famine

Hi Mekong. Nobody blamed the British for the potato blight, that would be ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that there was no famine in Ireland. The landholding system imposed on the Irish by the Brit Imperialists left the majority of the native population living in a state of bonded slavery, rents were set at a level where the natives could only afford to eat potatoes. Other crops, meat and dairy products were shipped to England while the Irish starved to death.

The "Troubles" took place in the six counties of Ulster occupied by the British because of the sectarian apartheid system they put in place after partition, governed by a "Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people".

I love hearing people refer to the Provos as "scum", without stoping for even a second to reflect on the circumstances that brought them into being in the first place. How about "F**king British Imperialist Scum"?

Cheers... in LOS and loving it!

to be honest "scum" is probably the most polite way i could describe the provos. like i've said, i'm a 36 yro protestant who was born and lived in northern ireland my whole live. i really don't care what people from outside of this country think. i really don't care about how n.ireland protestants are viewed in the rest of the world. i really don't care how the country of n.ireland came into existance. in much the same way people in the rest of the world don't seem to care that the majority of the population in "the occupied 6 counties" want to be british. this fact is usually left out of most peoples arguement for a united ireland. personally i think it's a pretty important point.

As an Irishman from a Catholic background (no longer consider myself a Catholic), I agree that the will of the majority in the six counties is important. I voted for the removal of the territorial claim on the six counties from the Irish constitution and I believe it is better for the six counties to remain part of Britain as long as the majority wishes this to be the case.

However, I also believe that it is important to remember how this situation came about and to keep in mind that the Brits/Loyalists were no more innocent than the Provos.

If the Protestant elite had any foresight they might have treated their Catholic brothers and sisters a little better... and then we might not have had to go through all this shit jut to reach a situation where we (almost) have a power sharing arrangement and a demilitarised society but where the wish of the majority, to remain part of the United Kingdom, is ensured and respected by all sides.

Important lessons can be learned from this conflict and applied to solving conflicts in other parts of the world.

Cheers.

fidel, i agree with everything you say but unfortunately i feel it will take a couple of generations before n.ireland will become a normal country.

too much has happened from both sides for people to simply forgive and forget. personally i find it stomach turning watching terrorists in government. as i'm sure you know, things here are very much black or white, there's very little common ground. like i said, until the likes of me and everyone else from both sides who grew up during the troubles are dead and buried, it'l never be a totally normal society.

Archived