25yrs since Irish Hunger Strike

Nervous_Dog

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

i was tempted not to dignify ND'S misty eyed, romantic vision of murderers, typical australian/american vision of the situation, u summed it up well!

Nothing I wrote was misty eyed, just making a point that these people chose to harm themselves finally than someone else. Also I'm not american. I had forgotten about the hunger strikes till then.

Hunger strikes I remember seemed to be used by Gandhi and others. A bad thing and you'd all prefer bombs I guess?

DOG

I was completely puzzled by it, since prisons are supposed to keep people from committing suicide. So it is a no-no to hang yourself, jump off a roof etc ... but starving yourself is all right? Seemed inconsistent.

<< Amazing how many yanks romanticised those provo cunts for years and funded them so they could murder innocent people, but as soon as someone started blowing them up they soon changed their tune. >>

Do I have to sing a chorus of "Can ya go a chicken supper, Bobby Sands?" to prove I'm a good Proddy?

Flash, i don't have any sympathy for terrorists on EITHER side of the sectarian divide in Northern Ireland. Protestant extremists also committed many terrorists acts. My sympathy is for the large number of people from all parts of that community who tried to go about their lives in a peaceful and civilised manner.

Simie.

Two sides of the same coin! I remember talking to a woman from NI I met in Phuket who had married a Kiwi during those dark days and said she never regretted it. She said anyone who could get out of NI, did so. (She was a Protestant.)

p.s. My father's family are Presbyterian and my mother's mother's were RC. My mother's father's were Anglican/Episcopalian. And of course my wife is a Buddhist. Thus the whole idea of a religious war seems so totally absurd to me!

yes well said. Amazing how many yanks romanticised those provo cunts for years and funded them so they could murder innocent people, but as soon as someone started blowing them up they soon changed their tune.

Simie.

I'd appreciate it if you specifically mentioned "WHICH" Americans? I believe it was a particular group. None the less, the Government here should have stopped it rather than pick a side. Additionally, I think a certain religlious group maybe should have lost it's non profit status for getting political...for that issue and 1-2 others as well...

Archived