What makes a person gay/lesbian/katoey?

WorldFun

ND,

Yep, homosexuality is present in other mammals in nature, that is why I believe that genes have a part in it as well as 'nurture'. (Also it just seems so obvious in the human population as well. Some guys are just so effeminate it just seems to go without saying that they are gay. They seem that way from almost birth to me-so genes at play.) Interesting studies/observations done on this in Bonobo (sp?) chimps in the wild. I haven't read anything about population densities being a factor in homosexuality. Do you remember where you saw this?

Cent

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ND,

I would think that the fact you see so many gays in the metropolitan areas is that they tend to gravitate to their own kind, rather than stay the lone gay guy/lesbian in the suburbs/rural areas. So this to me is more the fact they go where they can find other gays, rather than large populations 'breed' more gays. More about the 'numbers' and the migration I suspect. Also metropolitan areas usually are more diverse and less conservative than rural small towns and such areas. So easier for the gays to fit into their own niche and find a welcoming population of their own.

Cent

As far as I am personally concerned, I couldn't give a rat's ass what consenting adults do in their bedrooms. Up to them, as long as they hurt no one else and stay away from the underaged kids.

Cent,

I normally agree with 95%+ of what you write, but I think that equating homosexuality with paedophilia is completely and utterly wrong.

Having worked in the travel/hospitality industries for many years, I have worked for and with many gays, and this was one of their major gripes.

Why is it assumed that paedophiles are homosexual? What about guys who abuse young girls? Are they gay simply because they're a paedophile despite the fact they're having sexual relations with an underage girl?

(Not a nice topic I know, but just trying to make a point).

MooNoi

Moo Noi,

I did not equate gays with pedos. I was saying whatever others get up to in the sack is cool with me, as long as it doesn't involve underage. Not gays ... everyone. You took that line the wrong way, sir.

However, in case you don't know, there is a small population within the gay community (men) that are known to prefer quite young teen men/boys for their dalliances. They are called 'Chickenhawks' in the gay community, and many responsible gays despise them and their proclivities much the same way we straight men despise the men who target very young women/teens. It is a complete fallacy that gay men cannot be pedos as well, much the same as straight men themselves can be. Although, like in the straight community, it is a small proportion of the population.

Cent

MooNoi,

Not a problem. I just wanted to clarify that so there would be no further posts by members thinking I was saying that. I wasn't at all. I used to date a bi-sexual woman who had many gay male friends and lesbian friends. I socialized within that population for a couple of years and became friends with them, most of them. Some are great people, and some are fucked up in many ways. What I did notice is that there was a much higher rate of alcohol abuse and drug abuse within that group than what I saw in the hetero population. I also noticed (much to my pleasure) that many of the 'fem' partners in lesbian relationships were actually bi, whereas the dom/butch/dykes ones were pretty much lesbian 100%. Saying that though many of the butch gals had had relationships when they were younger with boys/men, mostly to fit in I feel in school. Same with the gay men, the dom men seemed to have had relationships with women (many I spoke with had)and I suspected that many were actually bi, whereas the fem men seemed to be 100% gay, though in younger years had tried to at least cover their gayness by dating women, at least when in school. Many of them had been molested as children, both men and women, both dom and fem. I heard many sad stories.

Our society does these people much damage really. I saw it, and it saddened me we cannot be more accepting of this. They're just people dammit, and religion has much to answer for in how they are treated in our societies.

Cent

"...Some guys are just so effeminate it just seems to go without saying that they are gay. They seem that way from almost birth to me-so genes at play.)..."

I seem to be noticing more and more guys exhibiting "bitch like" behavior, and being very effeminate, yet are not really gay/homosexual, just part of a growing/disturbing trend...it seems men are not supposed to be masculine anymore, and being so is concidered "not PC" or something...

It's generally accepted that gays get more sex than heteros, you know the old joke about the gay chat up line, "who goes first?". But something I noticed about real 'monger towns like Pattaya and Angeles City was that some the regulars DID tend to start becoming inclined towards younger and younger 'looking' girls, a result no doubt of being spoiled for choice. Of course in these places the word gets around and younger 'looking' girls are put their way. It's more than possible that in the promiscous side of the gay community, which is a lot of them, that they go the same way. OK, fire away, I got a thick skin.

Last I checked, current thinking in sexuality does not align itself along gay/straight lines. The belief is that sexuality in humans is a "spectrum". The outliers would be the "purely homosexual" and the "rabidly heterosexual", with perhaps bi-sexuals falling in the middle. The majority of people falling some where in between, distruibuted through the curve. I suppose you can think of people along the lines of "10% homosexual, 90% heterosexual" 60% hetero 40% homosexual etc etc.

However, the problems of trying to sort out the *reasons* for, say complete homosexuality are complex. There is little doubt nowadays that there is *some* contribution from genetics - twin studies have shown that fairly well (identical twins are very likely to have the same orientation sexually and there is not such a strong correlation with "non-identical" twins). There is also a whole bucket load of gender abnormalities that serve to cloud the issue -androgen insensitivity would be the classic case - people who *look* female (completely) but are genetically male.

There is also little doubt that environment serves to play a role. In severely homophobic societies, some one is less likely to "come out" shall we say than in tolerent societies. The large numbers of married men who later "come out" serve to show that society does play a conditioning role.

All in all a hugely complicated subject with little that is clearly known or understood.

-j-

I don't dislike gays.

I haven't really had any pleasent run in with gay people though.

My contact with gay males has be them hitting on me and not taking a hint that no means get the F*** away.

I have nothing personally against them, I've probably had friendly encounters with some people who were gay but they didn't disclose the fact to me (And that's good, because I don't want or need to know).

My contact with lesbians on the other hand, they seem to be polite and friendly with me.

As always, YMMV. I'm still young so my experience is limited and narrow. I'm not trying to generalize because I'm sure there are a lot of nice gay people out there. Just my 2 satang from an observational point of view.

Archived