What makes a person gay/lesbian/katoey?

WorldFun

"...Thus I'm making a poll on this & particularly awaiting OH's vote on this ..."

Yep, know tons of them, including my incredibly flaming gay cousin, who I love very much. He and his partner of 30+years (both retired from the U.S. Marines) were very good to me and my cousin, both of us were adopted, and had severel problems/issuse growing up. He and his BF are maybe the best example of what a caring, nurturing loving relationship is, and should be. They both provided my cousin (a girl) with a place to go, and advice, and guidance, and a sense of family we both desparately needed and wanted, who cares if it was 2 dudes?

Both pay their taxes, served their country in Vietnam (my cousin 2 tours, 1 purple heart, his Partner 3 tours, 1 purple heart, both have distuinguished service medels and numerous comendations.It hurts me to know they cannot/do not enjoy the same rights as other Americans, in terms of how their relationship is viewed/treated.

I also work with a few gay guys. Including one guy who is an over the top cross dresser who does drag shows/competitions. He does a Dion Warwick and Dianna Ross that are incredible. He, my cousin, and many other all dispell the myth that gay men ONLY like men who look like men, and thus liking Katoeys is NOT gay...they all say men who like katoeys are in deed gay, bi, or just curious/confused...All of them are good people.

As to what makes them gay...? who really knows..? I tend to think it is most likely something biological. Of course it could be something that just lowers the inhabition to sexual stereotyping/locking, and makes them open to other stuff/options...in any event, the decision is most likely not one of free choice, but more of a natural calling.

Yes, we make jokes about the gay not gay issues here, and it started mainly from a few well know posters denying their little proclivities, while taking shots at others who were open about it all...there have been more than a few guys who are know to go regularly with katoeys, but will only post about it under a different name.

I think this is wrong. Sexual freedom begins with honesty.Let me Make it clear and known, we are not laughing at gays, or katoey fans, we are laughing at people who live in their own denials.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More interestingly there seems much more acceptance in THailand and most girls have at least one gay friend, as you said in the poll "There so funny"

DOG

Interesting Observation Doggy, In Thailand for your wife / girlfriend / co-worker to refer to someone they know as "My Gay Friend" is so common, you just don't tend to bat an eyelid at it anymore.

In the UK my Niece (Sisters Daughter) has been in a relationship with another woman since she was 18, 12 years now, they both have good careers have bought their own house and most importantly are HAPPY. At the end of the day as long as people are happy and are not interfering with my welfare why should I care about their sexuality?

We are all individuals, and just because anothers outlook on life / relationships etc does not meet your own model, who is to say that it is wrong?

CW Did you have the same set of Christmas Crackers as I had in 1982? Classic Quote!

In this poll I think that 3, 4 and 5 are just about the same. In that the suggestion is that it is your enviroment that sets your sexual direction.

I was bought up believing that gay was not normal. It really was a taboo idea. So only a few took the plunge. Now it is much more open and as a result I am sure a lot more try it out.

There is no simple answer as to why someone becomes gay. The problem with most of the studies trying to find out why is that they tend to be limited to an all or nothing explanation.

As to knowing gays, it would be difficult not to living and working in Thailand. Gay guys realise they are somewhat accepted in LOS, so they come here to work. When I first started working at a name university, I noticed the gays were everywhere. One of my hetero colleagues told me, "Around here, if you are straight you keep it in the closet." He was exaggeating, but for a few years we definitely were in the minority. (May have had something to do with the fact that the guys who were doing the hiring were themselves gay!)

"What makes a person heterosexual?"

Er, the natural drive to perpetuate the species I would think? No? Sticking it up a guy's ass doesn't make babies. 2 women licking each other doesn't make babies. Hence, if you want to make babies, it is the natural thing to do.

I voted 'nature and nurture', even though that was oddly phrased in the poll. They both have varying degrees of influence in individuals. Some times one more so than the other, but I do believe both play a part.

I found the poll answers to be a bit insulting. Why if I say I am not gay do I have to also say I find it disgusting? Or was the OP just trying to be funny?

As far as I am personally concerned, I couldn't give a rat's ass what consenting adults do in their bedrooms. Up to them, as long as they hurt no one else and stay away from the underaged kids.

Cent

Archived