Living with a Thai Girl - Sin Sot, the real problem

Nervous_Dog

It gets called a dowry, which it's not, a dowry is money or property that the bride brings to the husband. Sin sot is money paid by the man to the brides family and is supposedly common practice in Thailand. I have never paid it and would not have paid it but I believe that some members of this board have.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so what happens if you dont pay it?...will they not allow the daughter to marry u?

Add to that will the daughter marry u under these circumstances?

Given the strong bonds between a TG and her parents I`d guess in most cases probably not.

However, one could slip in the word Nee/eloping during the negotiations to see if that could make the parents come around :cool:

Another term for the same is Kha Nom, cost of milk. Supposedly it is a "compensation" to the parents for the costs of raising their daughter.

Doesn`t really make much sense to me, surely the upbringing of a son is every bit as costly?

cheers

hn

so what happens if you dont pay it?...will they not allow the daughter to marry u?

Blood is thicker than water. If the family wants Sin Sot and you are not willing to pay, you are better off moving on.

At any rate, that sort of family will keep hitting you up for money, thru the wife, for the rest of your life. They'll pressure her not you.

If you send money to the family, from abroad, keep the wire transfer receipts. Some families will lie and tell the girl they never got the money, looking for a second bite of the apple.

You can show the receipts to the girl, but since she may not read English and/or can't comprehend the transactions, you're still screwed. The wire transfer receipts may as well be a stack of parking tickets, for all she knows.

The damn family, plus her homesickness and adjustment problems can turn your happy marriage into a nightmare.

Archived