Am I Being Had?

yyzfarang

I hate to see a fellow Torontonian being played for a sucker. I hate to be cold but this woman is probably still working at the bar and her child is probably still in Isan. When I first came to Thailand in 2004, some young bargirl completely played me for a few months, I must have given her 75,000Baht over that time. Really, not a huge monetary loss and it was easily absorbed but you feel like a wank when you first find out it is all a scam. If you want, I'll do some amateur PI work for you. Send me a PM, I'll give you my e-mail address and you can send a photo of your lady and the name of the bar she worked in. I'll wander by this weekend and see if she is there.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this board is that you will get answers like that all the time when money is involved! I talked to my friend who sent 3 kids to school and she said if it was a good school and the kid is under the usual age they would like to see a donation (no receipt)If that isn't what she need the money for, she says you have a point to distrust her! If it is for a Donation without a receipt you will ask yourself your entire life where the money really went!

Don't wanna mess with your head to much, but the reason that you came up with this post is probably what should concern you most! There is a good portion of distrust towards your lady and that might be worse than the money Issue. She wants you to send HER kid to school, not your reproduction, the kind of someone else! Since 40,000 is an usual high amount I would come up with a cheaper solution. No need to send a 3 year old to a boarding school together with Lex Luthor and the Bill Gates kids! She can't live with that you might get some answers for yourself. The kid is a baby for christ sake and doesn't need high level education at this point, what it needs is social contacts and toys!

If it is a scam that would be very sad that she uses her kid to rip you off!

Lets stay positive unless you have proof!

Good Luck

Hmm. Tricky one. For a "normal" Thai school, often run out of a Wat, 400 baht would be nearer the mark - these are essentially free.

For one of the "mid range" Thai schools, of which there are a lot, 40,000 for the year would be pretty close to the mark. These schools are often bilingual (mainly taught by Philipino and Thai teachers). They can be quite good. Example would be the Kasintorn schools of which there are several. School uniform and gym kit would fit. You would certainly not get into one of those without payment first. A lot of "medium hi so" (??) Thai kids go to these schools.

For the high end schools 400,000 per term or year (depending!) is nearer the mark.

For the daughter to stay with the sis if she is near a "good" school is VERY common. Otherwise transportation to/from school can be a kiler.

My feeling is that, if the info is true (hahaha, this is thailand, good luck in working it out), she may have the kid in a wat school (free) and be hoping to upgrade to the Mid range if you come up with the money.

First step, get the name of the school and location. May be on the web if you are lucky. However, welcome to the murky depths of Thailand. You can go nuts trying to work it all out. Sad thing is when there is a kid on the bottom end of all this.

-j-

have you ever considered maybe bringing her to Canada with you?

I've considered it.....am tentatively back in BKK in March and she has agreed to go to Cdn Embassy with me to apply for visitor visa. I'm leery of that because it's to my understanding that Thai girls either hate western society or they do a runner! Jury is still out!

Archived