Newbie visiting BKK for 1st time.. Some questions..

James34

I agree with you in a way, munch... but the other side of the coin makes sense too... After all, there are a number of those "mistakes" that don't grant you any redeeming value in making them.. and learning from them.

Aside from that... think of where the world would be today if nobody ever learned from OTHERS mistakes... (well, ok... most other westerners still suffer from not learning from any mistakes, much less there own lol), but still... lol.

Anyhoo... I have appreciated all the info I have gotten from this board... and I will be making my first trip to Thailand next week (131 hours and counting!). I dont think that the mistakes I will dodge by reading and asking for info on this board will effect my trip in a negative way... I think it will actually help make the trip more memorable... and will verify (or shoot down) that theory in my trip report :)

Frosty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

munchmaster - I can understand your point..

But everyone that I know who has been to Thailand said 'Be careful there!' but didnt elaborate. I just wanted to find out why I was getting so many warnings..

Of course reading a forum or two does not compare to actually being there, so Im sure that there are more than a few surprises in store ;)

I like to know the basics about a country before visiting there. Its common sense I think.. Its just been more interesting re: Thailand so I found myself reading and learning more than usual..

Besides, having a Thai girlfriend back home and falling for her charms urged me to investigate other peoples experiences with Thai women to see if mine was normal.. It turns out that yes, she is a typical Thai girl. Very good at deception and extremely sexy ;)

James, your "poke her" face will be a dead give away...lol...

Only one word of advice....go with the flow and ENJOY...

Good luck...

PS...no one ever goes to LOS...once..555

But you can never have your first time experience a second time

Have fun.. wish I was there...this is the first month this year, I haven't been "In Country"

Cheers DS

Oh thats a shame... Was hoping to catch up and get your perspective on things..

Where are you now then? Coming back soon?

I may consider living there and teaching English. Taiwan is starting to rub me up the wrong way. And the girls here are ice cold :(

That could be because i have a head like a dropped pie.. but still... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I arrived in BKK on the 7th on a late flight.

Am staying at Majestic Suites which is nice and close to Nana Plaza. Went there at about midnight and wandered around, got bothered by a few older women and just wanted to sit somewhere and take in the sights..

Got charged 90 baht for a glass of coke.. Is this normal? I left that bar (the one with the midgets welcoming customers) and walked upstairs and sat at a bench looking over the plaza..

It felt odd to be by myself, and it wasnt much fun (sanuk?) to be there alone. I finished my drink, and wandered around some more. A few cute girls took my eye, and said hello.

Ended up in a bar where the girls wear glow in the dark bikinis (green ones) - I forget the name. Ended up barfining a sexy tall girl and spent 4 hours in my room. So the night wasnt a complete waste of time..

Im here till the 14th.. Does anyone want to help out a lonely Aussie guy? Im 34, and cant drink booze because Im on some particularly nasty antibiotics that were given to me in Taipei...

Just want someone to have a chat to and get the low down on where to go, how much to pay etc etc.. Maybe share a meal and perve on some girls?

This will probably get a few flames, but what the hell.. Just thought I would put it out there..

Im doped up on antibiotics and cold pills and am in a daze. Have decided to spend the night in tonight (Friday 8th) to try and get on top of this flu.. Spent the day with an ex girlfriend and had some fun this afternoon for a few hours, so the day wasnt a complete writeoff

Send me a pm if you want to meet up some time or to share your tips/advice :)

Try Soi Cowboy. Just a long walk or a short Skytrain ride. I don't much like Nana these days. Prices are about the same in Cowboy, but I find it overall less mercenary.

As to teaching here, expect to make considerably less than in Taipei. Say 30,000 to 35,000 baht/month. If you teach English, you'll need an EFL certificate for a teacher's licence for primary and secondary schools. But you won't need one for a university. PM me if you want some advise on it.

p.s. I agree on being out alone. It's a lot more fun with someone to talk to. Do you know about the Friday night Nanaplaza gatherings at Gulliver's on Soi 5?

Hi Flashermac, thanks for the advice mate

Yeah I think I will leave Thailand for 'play' and work in Taiwan.. Good to seperate the two I think ;)

I just found out about the Friday night gatherings last night, so have missed out for this trip..

Will check out Soi Cowboy tonight, and met a guy in the hotel that is going to take me to a ladyboy beauty contest tonight haha.. I figure, might as well go and check it out while I am here :)

He is a professional (?) photographer from Singapore and seems to be a nice guy. At least I wont be flying solo for a change..

So! Soi Cowboy tonight after the ladyboy contest. This time last month I had no idea I would be considering this for a nights entertainment

You gotta love Thailand ;)

Archived