Bangkok: midnight closing coming

Neo

You actually hit the nail on the head zombienation.

The farangplaces are to in your face. So the Thais loose their face. When I came here for my first holiday over 9 years ago you could walk over Sukhumvit without knowing Nana and Cowboy existed. Look at it now ......

But just to be fair. Purichai went after far more Thai places ..... many more then farang places. Most comedians can drink his blood, because the earlier closing times ruined their incomes. Their used to be about 10 comedy cafes around pre-Purichai, now there is just 2 left. I wonder what their reaction is to Purichai today.

Waerth

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zombie ,

with all due respect , but the vast majority of bangkok visitors would not even notice if the local nightlife would completely evaporate .

It is a major issue here on the board and many guys here think that is all what matters but it isn't . To the daily tourism it is as important as closing all crocodile farms : they are not there any more and that's it . What I could foresee is a sharp decline in the English-teaching industry maybe , lack of staff :grinyes:

BuBi

It is funny, isn't it?

When politics makes an upopular decission they cover it up in something nice. In this case it is safety! The truth is they want the farangs out of the city and outsource this kind of nightlife to the other cities! I remember when New York cleaned up, on 8th street you used to get everything you wanted and one of my favorite places is a drugstore now, the other one is a deli ;) I am sure Khun Purachai is comparing BKK with NYC and believes the tourism won't decrease because BKK is such a great city! I can understand that they want to get out these farangs that come for party, BKK is supposed to be a business city and it will probably work out to get more multinational investors and businesses that help to make the city grow to something more substantial but in the first years many people who came and invested their everything into a bar, lounge or pub will go broke and many hotels won't survive it either! It is pretty clear, they want to piss the sex tourists off, I would just wish they would tell it as it is that the tourists understand it!

I am taking a wait and see approach. Purachai is apparently in grief that after getting reassigned that his successors are slacking off relative to his social order crusade and his blowing a gasket over it landed a front page story. Will it work? And if so how far reaching and how long will it last? Could be anywhere from a non event that never materializes to a major problem.

Going to the extent of trying to prohibit people from staying out past midnight on Christmas day is ridiculous. What a scrooge. The bars used to be open all night as well as the trains and it is a wonderful place and time to enjoy Christmas with all the lights up throughout Bangkok, the most pleasant weather of the year, and all the beer gardens sprouted up with beer girls (who are also on his hitlist but still to be found as of yet).

But the nightlife venues will move in Pattaya, Walking Street will vanish in 5-10 years, same will happen to the bars from Beach Rd to 2nd Rd. New nighlife areas will be from 3rd Rd to Sukhumvit Rd - there're already bars and nightclubs. :cool:

I know it all seems like doom and gloom right now. However in poilitics things can change quickly. people will vote witht thrit feet.

Most of the girls I take home are freelancers or regular thai girls. I dont often take out of the gogo bars...so Thai girls will still be available and I think it everything will be ok in the end.

I don't care a bit if they ruin the Bangkok nightlife completely as I have already relocated my sanuking activites in the places where pussy is cheaper, girls are nicer, people are on holiday mood and there are more to do in the daytime than sit in overpriced bars in the middle of terrible traffic jams :grin:

For sure, whilst there is poverty, then there will be prostitutes...but the 'not in my backyard' mentality is always flawed...and that's what we are seeing with this posturing...Thailand is a right wing, conservative, religious society, or so the middle classes would have us believe...they are in the driving seat now...St Gabriels school says it's so...also face/money/respectability is what these people crave...so the trend is one of cleaning up the mess, but all it's going to do is push it underground...it's a flawed logic, when the society is rife with corruption and is deceitful and seedy to the core...but it's face time folks, get used to it...the public image is more important than the reality...

Archived