Processors, any difference?

Old Hippie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... the main purpose of which is to burn my travel photos onto a DVD for backup while traveling...

If that's all you want, you might be better off just getting a new (small) camera that uses SD or CF cards. These cards are now dirt cheap, and have huge capacities. Carry two or three big ones and you probably couldn't take that many photos in one trip.

You'd be dealing with a lot less baggage (in so many ways) by just having a nice small camera instead of lugging a (big, heavy, fragile) laptop (and power brick, cables, etc) all over the place, and having to deal with CDs and DVDs. You also wouldn't have to worry about the laptop while going through security, or having it stolen from the hotel, or having it get broken during travel.

Back in January I bought a Casio Exilim EX-S600 camera in Japan, and I continue to be thrilled by it. It's way small, and is truly a pocket camera. I bought a small soft case for it at a 99 yen shop (the thing was being advertised as a calculator case, but the camera fit perfectly).

I looked at this camera in Hong Kong, but wasn't happy with the prices. I found it on sale in Tokyo, considerably cheaper. It has so many features that I'll never be able to use them all.

There is a USA version, but that one that has considerably fewer features. On the other hand, the USA version is probably adequate, and slightly cheaper.

I stopped carrying my laptop to Thailand years ago. I replaced it with an HP, then a Dell Axim X51v, pocket PCs. The Axim has wifi (and bluetooth), so it's easy to use at hotspots to send and receive email. The Axim uses both SD and CF cards, so it's easy to backup any photos from the camera, which also uses SD cards. It's a lot easier swapping cards than it is burning things to a disk.

Even if you wanted a disk backup, it's probably easier to get it done at a photo or computer shop than it is to carry a laptop, just for that reason alone.

"...Even if you wanted a disk backup, it's probably easier to get it done at a photo or computer shop than it is to carry a laptop, just for that reason alone..."

Pang Mak!

I am seriously leaning towards Mac...expensive, but the virus thing and spyware thing have added merit...also read that Mac is better for photos and what not.

Archived