Processors, any difference?

Old Hippie

Is there really any difference between AMD, Intel Centrino etc processors? I am now seeing lap tops with DVD*_ burners in them on sale for under $600, brands like Toshiba and Compaq...any thoughts on a cheap laptop? the main purpose of wich is to burn my travel photos onto a DVD for backup while traveling...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you don't go for a dual processor the AMD ones have alledgedly the better performance! Never had one but also never met one who was complaining about AMD. I have a Acer Laptop which I am selling cheap, I have 3 to be precise as leftovers from my webiste businesses. Stylish, fast and widescreen displays selling them for USD 800,- http://us.acer.com/acereuro/page4.do?sp=page3&dau22.oid=18364&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+States&crc=2670708976

having recently (about 6 months ago) switched to an Intel dual core chip, I can't say enough good about them...my old notebook had a single core which operated at 3.06 Ghz clockspeed, but my dual core, though only 2.0 Ghz, blows it out of the water speed-wise...and I do lots of video editing, photo manipulation, etc...

preahko

Comparing CPU vs CPU for the same level of performance, Intel core 2 duo is cheaper and draws less power. This means you pay less, it runs cooler, and batteries last longer.

If you are one that worries about becoming obsolete and want the latest, get either amd turion 2 or intel core 2 duo because each are dual core and 64-bit capable. There is nothing else coming around the corner to wait for. Get these two features and you will have the most advanced type processor for the foreseeable future. If all you care about is web surfing, mail, and burning cd's then you can even scratch those two things off as requirements as well.

I have an AMD laptop for a few years and am quite happy with it. But I recognize that as of now Intel has battled back and is now better in all ways, and cheaper too.

In the current state of affairs, the Intel Core 2 Duo is the main-stream champ. Make sure it's Core 2 and not the first series.

Last year, AMD was on top. Their dual-core was much better than Intel's dual core, which was actually 2 single cores slapped together, but that changed dramatically with the Core 2 Duo.

Next year, AMD will come out with a true quad core, unlike Intel's current quad core, which is basically 2 dual-cores slapped together.

No sense getting single core any more.

I have an AMD dual core in one of my machines, and an Intel Core 2 Duo in another. They're both very good machines. I have AMD FX 64's in my other 2 machines, and they are good as well but obviously not as good as the dual core.

Intel have the edge speed wise now and for the foreseeable...you could always buy a mac? Uses Intel and you can run any pc app via parallels or bootcamp...osx being easy to use, no risk of virus annoyance and is using the fastest and latest processors available.

Archived