Processors, any difference?

Old Hippie

I considered Mac actually...Yes, the Windows Laptops from Offic c edpot etc, for $400 after rebates are very appealing for the main purpose I want it for, which is down loading pictures, and burning them to DVD (I currently use a Nikon Coolwalker Hard drive, but I don't trust it in the long run, would like to have them on a disk as well). Trouble is, I really have no ideas as to what is what in terms of brand, quality, durability, processor speed etc...Thanks for all the advice!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had to buy a new laptop on this trip since my LCD screen on my old one got busted somehow in transit. I do not do much in video editing, just some 3D CAD and some FEA meshing, so an expensive CPU is a waste for me.

I found a good deal here in LoS. An Acer Aspire 3680. Specs are Celeron M 430 (1.73MHz), 512Mb RAM (upgradeable to 2Gb), 80Gb HDD, 14.1" WXGA screen, built in WiFi-B&G and Bluetooth, built-in 5-n-1 card reader, and a DVD superdrive. It's 2.4Kg, not too bad weightwise. All for B21,900 at many shops in Fortune -- I got mine at IT City, 4th floor all the way in the back. An added bonus is that it comes with one year's insurance for theft or breakage. It does NOT come with an OS, but this is Thailand and that is easily rectified.

I am very happy with it.

Cheers,

SD

I have a Office depot $400 compaq laptop,

works fine , I mostly got it for the WiFi and just keep it in my car all the time in a padded alloy case,

Its great if I need to get on the net for Mapquest or to check my email,

I also have a 12v-110v converter to charge it in the car, or charge my camera....

The "mouse" is just a thumb pad which I really do not like , I would rather have a roller ball like my old Mac Laptops.

you can also hook a regular monitor and keyboard up to the laptop if you need to , but I never have needed too :)

OC

OH,

installing the OS (e.g. Win XP) isn't difficult. All you need is a setup-cd and a serial.

The more difficult part is to identify and download the hardware drivers. The drivers are usually on the laptop makers support pages.

That done you have to go and install all the software you like.

All in all a few hours, a broadband connection and a second computer to download the drivers are needed.

Hardware/computer prices here are just too damn high, not to mention that the latest technology is never available. The laptop you bought for 21,900 here ($600) is on sale in the USA for $399 after rebate! That's why I need "mules" to bring me many things!

"MicroCenter.com again has the Acer Aspire 3680 Celeron 1.46GHz 14" Widescreen Notebook for $449.99. This $50 mail-in rebate cuts it to $399.99. It's among the least expensive Acer laptops we've seen. Shipping adds $19.85, or select in-store pickup. Features include an Intel Celeron M 410 1.46GHz processor, 14.1" 1280x800 widescreen LCD, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD/CD-RW drive, 802.11g wireless, flash card reader, and Windows XP Home. Rebate ends December 31."

SD: If you've loaded an un-licenced Windows OS be really careful of ANY Microsoft sites and be especially watchful for "MICROSOFT WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE" which will totally fuck your machine. Microsoft is very clever in trying to fool un- registered users into downloading detection software.

All the necessary Windows up-dates are available in a safe form on the net, if you need them a friend can give me the addresses.

Doc, I figure that my faster processor, Thai keyboard (yes, useful for me), DVD burner (vs only CD burner I think on that one) and the one year's insurance are worth the extra $150. I would never use rebates because I have privacy issues with that form of reimbursement and hate the flood of inevitable junk mail I am sure it will bring. Beside, I had no choice as I needed it for this biz trip.

Carlton/OH: The computer comes with a drivers CD, so it was painless. However, no OS other than XP would load on it. I tried 98SE, NT4 & 2000 (don't ask why, but mostly for the knowledge) -- no joy with any of them.

Dddave: I'm hip to the M$ issue, but thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Archived