Kangaroo bar Bangkok now open

kangaroobar

Wow, at that rate I will probably get extremely Drunk...and save a small fortune !!! :grinyes::beer::grinyes:

But I'm "shocked" :yikes::yikes::yikes: You mean to say you will have "Girls" at your Bar... Man I thought fine Ales and Char Grilled Burgers were all that anyone could dream for.... now you add Girls into the mix....WOW :chili::chili::yay::yay::elephant::elephant:

Oh shit...just remembered....I won't be able to sample the delights....I'm on a "short leash" this trip....lol..

Guess I'll just have to look....Som nom na....ME

Cheers DS / DC :beer:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks KS,

Sorry BD, I was referring to B(ringing)Y(our) O(wn)....small (but nice) companion...lol... I don't get off the leash very often these days, so can't get to sample the "take away" delights on offer....even when they are cute, friendly and ex Soi 33.... not that I'm complaining, mind you.....

Guess I could send her "Shopping"......only joking!!

Cheers DS

Yep true charcoal grill

I made a trip over to Soi 22 earlier this evening, specifically to sample The Belgian Dog's hamburger.

It was good, indeed.

Here's a burger trip report:

Description:

• Large, home-style, patty, with real, honest, ground beef -- as far as possible from the common, factory-made, shaved, pressed, hockey puck of left-over beef trimmings.
  • Cooked exactly the way I asked for it.
  • Served on a large, tasty, home-style, bun -- which had been toasted on the grill.
  • Cheese burger available at no extra charge.
  • Served with fresh tomato and a sprig of parsley. They didn't have to add that, but they did. Nice.

What I learned:

Call it odd, but one of my little projects whilst living here in Bangkok, is to search for the best hamburger the city has to offer.

I've tasted burgers from Woodstock in Thonglor to The Big Mango in Nana Plaza, to some little place (name forgotten) over at Victory Monument -- and lots in between.

The burger at TBD is among the best I've found.

What I'd do differently next time:

From many past experiences, I've learned that Thai cooks don't really understand rare-medium-well done.

So if I want medium, which I do, I order well done.

But, at TBD, I got exactly what I asked for: a perfectly well-done burger.

Next time, to get medium, I will order medium.

To test the true flavour of the burger I ordered it absolutely plain -- nothing other than burger and bun.

After a first taste, it wanted only an extra touch of salt.

Now that I have confidence in the quality, next time I will ask for some of the trimmings as well.

The bar:

•  
  • Neat and clean and attractive, but nothing remarkable.
  • Seating is mostly sofas, comfortable, but Thai size and Thai height.
  • Air-conditioned to a perfect temperature -- not freezing cold as in many Thai restaurants.
  • Music is gentle and moderate volume, suitable for conversation -- not the pounding "rap" that has infected so many bars.

It also must be said that the TBS manager himself is a perfect example of European hospitality: always available, but never overwhelming.

One of the pleasures of living in Bangkok, is finding European-style hospitality in a few bars and restaurants.

What I didn't like:

• The bar girls are far too pretty. Much prettier by a length than others in Queen's Park Plaza. They are Japanese-bar quality.
  • The girls -- there were three on duty when I was there -- are smarter than I am. The instant I walked in they realized I was there to eat and drink, not to rent their charms for the evening. So they smiled, but did not pester me. How did they know I already have a Thai girl friend?
  • I could do without the flashing lights behind the bar, but, okay, this is Christmas season.

Bottom line:

Friends "from the old country" often come to visit Bangkok.

They don't come here to eat hamburgers, but they may enjoy a burger while they are getting acquainted with some lovely young ladies.

TBD is now on my "A-list" for showing visiting friends around town.

ahh belgian beers & cute japanese girls in BKK what more could I possibly want?

well I kinda like belgian waffles after a nice bowl of mussels in beer sauce, but then again a nice burger might do ;)

best of luck with this new bar Gullivers have got serious competition :hubba:

ahh belgian beers & cute japanese girls in BKK what more could I possibly want?

well I kinda like belgian waffles

Belgian waffles:

That's a great idea!

And I don't see many Belgian waffles in Bangkok.

Maybe The Belgian Dog himself can answer this question: What do real Belgians put on their waffles?

I like strawberries (frozen okay), and vanilla sauce on my waffles. _ :p

Maybe WorldFun is thinking that a "Belgian waffle" is strawberries and sauce served on his choice of girl? _ ;)

Minor correction:

The girls I saw at TBD are Japanese-quality, not Japanese nationality.

In Thailand, the Japanese visitors pay the top rates, so they are offered the best looking girls.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for comments khun004.

About the flashlight behind the bar we are going to change them as it is true this is christmas season.

About belgian waffles, we are trying to make them exactly how I like them but it may take till February before we obtain a result.

(due mainly to the difficulty of finding the right product)

I will give update if we get some acceptable (to my taste) waffles.

Cheers

Archived