4 bombs went off in BKK some deads

WorldFun

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who am I to say but I am rather sure its the Yala insurgents. It really was just a matter of time. Not sure anyone remembers butI mentioned a year or more ago after the Tak Bai fiasco they found FOUR bombs tucked around a police station 150 meters from my condo in Klong san.

The tourist industry is fucked.I suspect it will have an inverse affect though-rules will probably be loosened as business declines.

Bummer... We all suspected and my friends in the anti terrorist squad said it was going to happen eventually. :(:(:(:mad:

Yeah, but I doubt how many phuket/samui/huahin tourist exactly this one is gonna scare off?

Tsunami didn't last that long, but I suppose it depends what the outcome exactly gonna be?

This is how the current UK foreign office travel warning for Thailand goes:

"This email is to advise you that an article matching one of your interests has been published on the FCO website:

Thailand

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Summary and Terrorism/Security section. The overall level of the advice has not changed.

> > > >

* A number of bombs have gone off in Bangkok on 31 December 2006. British Citizens are advised not to travel within Bangkok unless absolutely necessary, until further notice.

* We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest. Since January 2004, there have been regular attacks including bombings and shootings. There were eight explosions in Yala Province on 9 November 2006 injuring 13 people. The Thai Government has declared a serious state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

* There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against places frequented by foreigners.

* On 19 September 2006, there was a coup against the Thai civilian government and martial law was imposed throughout the country. On 28 November 2006 martial law was lifted in 41 provinces, including Bangkok, it however remains in 35 provinces of which, 20 were already under martial law prior to the coup. An interim Prime Minister was appointed on 1 October 2006. The situation in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand is calm. You are advised to avoid any demonstrations and large crowds.

* Penalties for possession, distribution or manufacture of drugs are severe and can include the death penalty.

* Outbreaks of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) in Thailand have resulted in a small number of human fatalities. As a precaution, you should avoid live animal markets, poultry farms and other places where you may come into close contact with domestic, caged or wild birds; and ensure poultry and egg dishes are thoroughly cooked. For further information see Health section below and also read the FCOâ??s Avian and Pandemic Influenza Factsheet.

* Around 750,000 British tourists visit Thailand every year. The main types of incident for which British nationals require consular assistance in Thailand are arrests (mostly drug related); hospital cases (especially road accidents); and deaths, mostly from natural causes and road accidents. The majority of consular cases occur in Bangkok, Pattaya and KohSamui.

* We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake. Please see: Travel Insurance.

Click here to view the article

Kind regards,

FCO Webmaster"

I don't think it was a hand granade - if so more had been dead if you consider the normal bangkokian crowds.

IMO this was a demonstration of some sort as they used very limited explosives and not directly wanted to kill. The goverment believes the bombs were planted by Thakins friends which is rather stupid, IMO his friends had just tried to hit military buildings and coup leaders homes. No more likely is that this is related to the execution of Saddam and the problem in the south.

Archived