4 bombs went off in BKK some deads

WorldFun

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Two more bombs explode at Central World, Pratunam

Two more bombs exploded in the heart of Bangkok once the new year started, severely injuring many foreign tourists and some Thais.

The two bombs exploded nearly at the same time seconds after the new year started.

The first bomb exploded at the Best Sea Foods restaurant on the Saen Saeb Canal near the Pratunam Pier just seconds after the New Year countdown ended.

Three foreigners and two Thais were injured. One of the foreigners had one leg amputated by the blast. The foreign tourists were having dinner at the restaurant.

Police said the bomb was hidden in a bumper tire at the pier.

The second bomb exploded at a public telephone booth at the pedestrian flyover linking Central World and Kesorn Plaza. Several foreigners were injured and rushed to hospitals.

It was fortunately that the New Year countdown event at Central World was earlier cancelled by 8 pm and thousands of revellers had already dispersed but many were still wandering around.

Police had to ask tourists and revellers to try to leave the area as soon as possible for fear that there could be another bomb.

Police said the bomb near Central World might be planted shortly before it exploded as police earlier checked the area but did not find it.

There were rumours of bomb explosions in many areas throughout the night and objects suspected to be bombs were sighted in several areas.

A suspected bomb was located at the Buddy Bar on Khao Sarn Road about half an hour after midnight and tourists were evacuated from the area.

By 1 am, police also disposed another bomb at the Lumpini Night Bazaar before it explodes.

The Nation"

Gen Sonthi is in Saudi Arabia and will not return until Thursday.

Sounds similar when Mr. T was at the UN.

My first thought when i read this was 'pure coincidence' that the general is out of the country.

But maybe we should not underestimate Mr Toxic's lust for the premiership. A bombing campaign by Toxic supporters in BKK could discredit the general if he cannot stop it. And especially if it appears to be carried out by muslims. With Sonthi being a muslim and all...

So if we can imagine for a moment that taksin supporters are willing to fight to regain the dictatorship. And all the riches that come with it. Then this bombing campaign could be a prelude to a planned revolt within the military by the taksin loyalists. The "bloodless" part of the bloodless coup label may have to be deleted.

This is just speculation by me. But it is not far fetched to think that the opposition has not given up.

So its either the muslims or taksin supporters trying to make it look like the muslims.

According to the links I posted in one of these stories, Some were planted bombs, some were hand grenades. It does seem odd and 1/2 assed, but that could be the intent...

Forgot to add, wonder if the same people are doing it, or all different? Some attacks occurred at different times...

Tricky to work out who's behind this.

I really wonder what would Mr.T have to gain by killing his own people? I really don't think Thaksin would be behind this.

My suspicion is still insurgnecy from Southern Thailand - I always thought they would target Bangkok eventually.

I guess time will tell...

Moo Noi

I gave up a long time ago trying to understand why people do a lot of things they do. That area of Pratunam is extremely busy at night at the best of times let alone Christmas New Year. They go to a lot of trouble to draw people there with live concerts beer tents etc. Probably lucky there wasn't a lot more injuries and deaths. Make you wonder what the intentions were.

Yeah well, what else would CNN say?

I narrowly missed a bomb in Vientiane in 2002 that killed two and injured about thirty. The Hmong Lao claimed responsibility for that one. It went off right next to my favorite bbq sweetcorn stall in the bus depot market where I used to tease the teenage girls who worked there in my terrible Lao. Never heard what happened to them.

Fuck all the bombers, including the ones that drop them out of planes.

Archived