Explosions in Bangkok

Alfmaz

General thought which is obvious but necessary to state...The current "government" is not helping much in dealing with this situation however if one does not continue with ones normal life patterns this only promotes fear and whoever is behind this has won.

I was in Bali ( 6 doors up in fact)during the huge blast and went through the hell of taking care of the my friends and the families who had just lost daughters and sons.We just went forward.

Stay calm and go forward Thai and Farangs alike.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You may be right...if you are, doesn't that mean that Thailand in general, and Bangkok in particular, is now a substantially more dangerous place?...It means that we may start to see in Bangkok the sort of bombings that have been occurring regularly in the South. That doesn't sound pleasant to me."

Yes, that is exactly what I think it means. I think that the insurgents would like nothing more than to turn Thailand into another Israeli / Palestinian type conflict. In fact, it actually IS they same type of conflict as the land in the south was taken from them, and they are now fighting to reclaim it (at least per their propaganda).

I've been very closely following the insurgency since 2003. I've hoped that Thai military would be able to quell this problem via surgical strikes against their leadership before it gained too much momentum. Unfortunately this has not happened, and the current political vacuum will probably only embolden these lunatics to further action. There have even been recent reports that factions from other countries (Philippines, Afghanistan, and Pakistan) have either been providing technical support or actually personnel to the insurgentsâ?¦Not to mention a major Al-Qaeda figure being captured in Thailand (Bangkok I think).

I can only hope this doesnâ??t happen but all indications look like it will. Due to the extreme nature of these religious fanatics, they canâ??t be reasoned with. The Thai government either has to eradicate them or give in to their demands. Either option is sure to create a very undesirable impact on Thai society.

I love Thailand, possibly even more than my home country. I would absolutely hate to see anything like a low grade war breakout. Itâ??s not a forgone conclusion at this point, but chances are good that additional terrors strikes in Bangkok and other major cities are likelyâ?¦

Guest lazyphil

jitagawn, exactly, a lovely old lady lives near me and hearing her accounts of life in the east end of london before she was evacuated as a little girl are most humbling, hearing the airraid sirens then getting inside the anderson shelters and having a sing song while fire and bombs rained down around them.....thais will move forward with ease, its human nature.

They'll move forward much easier when they know who their enemy is, at the moment they're being told its Taksins legacy, they know the southern insurgents could have done it but they are suspicious of the coup leaders, thats a bad position to be in,having no-one to turn to for leadership and direction.

I think thats a very scary scenario for Thais.

JP

I actually mentioned this, as did others in the various threads...

yes, sorry, my bad, I didn't read the previous 6 pages of posts before I posted!!

the more I think about it, the more this makes sense. especially with the "prime minister" announcing yesterday that we should "prepare for more life-threatening events"...it's so totally in the current dictatorship's interest to continue to foster an "unstable" situation (through things like bombings) to justify their continued rule.

I also don't think it looks like the savages from the south did this at all. if they had, it would have been a lot more effective bombing campaign and a lot more people would have died. I think the deaths that did occur were accidental, but of course nobody in the government is shedding tears over them..."collateral damage" is the term, right?

the insurgents in the south are all about shocking, utter brutality. like kidnapping teachers on their way to school and dousing them in gasoline and burning them, sawing the heads off Buddhist monks, that's the kind of stuff they do. those bombs were made to look like the work of amateurs.

preahko

Thanks Elef, but now in the Nation they said 'IRK' was found on one of the phone booths hosting one of the bombs???

In some langueages IRAQ is IRAK, so it's amazing how quickly the "IRK" found on at least 3 places was forgotten.

I disagree that the current junta might be behind this - they lost a tremendous amount of face around the world, and even if the goal was to take attention away from, for example, silly economic decisions, the price is too high. As I posted earlier, it just demonstrates that they are neither capable of returning Thai political discussions to a peaceful mode, nor able to prevent a Muslim attack (whether this was one or not, everyone is certainly well aware now that the Muslim South could easily turn Bangkok into a target). They have no need for support to continue their reign or to clamp down further with their security forces, as He is on their side and the opposition amounts to, what? democrats and human rights campaigners? Easily disposed of.

Maybe it was the Burmese... or the 'Bodians? You never can really trust either of them, what Thai can forget that it was barely three (or five)hundred years ago that they made sneak attacks against peaceful, virtuous Thailand?

YimSiam

This is the only publication listing this so I'm not sure how credible this information is. Interesting if true though...

http://www.playfuls.com/news_10_7597-Southern-Separatists-Deny-Hand-In-Bangkok-Bombing.html

"A leading separatist group in Thailand's deep South on Friday denied any involvement in New Year's Eve bombings in Bangkok that killed three people and injured 42.

Pattani United Liberation Organization (PULO) - one of the oldest groups fighting for the independence of Thailand's three southernmost provinces - Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala - issued the denial on its website which, although blocked by the Thai government, was accessed by the Bangkok Post.

"We deny the baseless accusation of bombings' involvement because what concerns us is primarily the fighting for our Malay Muslim rights and ethnicity against Thai existence within the scope of our former Malay Kingdom of Pattani," the statement said, referring to the region's former status as an independent Islamic sultanate before it was conquered by Bangkok more than 200 years ago."

Archived