Explosions in Bangkok

Alfmaz

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question of the day ,

Does anyone in the present Thai government really know who did it ?

Or are they not sure but pointing fingers at the "suspects" they want to pin it on ?

OC

and could it be the present government that did it , so that they can say "see you need us to protect you "

never too many conspericy theories....

Everyone I know - Farangs and Thais - is totally stressed about the current situation.

I would like to go on record as saying I am not totally stressed about the current situation. In fact' date=' this is way down on my list of things to be stressed about and hardly budges my stress-o-meter at all.

It's great sport to watch the chicken-heads cluck around, but it's not going to change *my* life. Not gonna happen...

[/quote']

Me too! :yeahthat:

Cheers,

SD

My retired Thai-Chinese textile tycoon friend seems to think it is a group of pissed off Class 10 army officers. They certainly would have motive and opportunity.

Have to agree that no one seems real upset and is going about normal business. There does seem to be some silly bomb scares, but should fade away soon.

They have doubled the number of armed soldiers outside Shin Tower.

TH

I haven't heard this theory put forth anywhere, but I think it's very likely it could be the current military government itself who set off the bombs.

what better way to justify their continued military dictatorship and postponement of elections, "necessary" because of "ongoing instability"??

preahko

I actually mentioned this, as did others in the various threads...basically, the current government could do it to discredit who ever they wanted...blame the insurgents in the south to justify action or policy, blame Thaksin to justify/discredit him...the finger pointing seems to hint at it. These tactics are nothing new. The CIA used them in El Salvador...have someone kill and rape nuns, then make it look like the FMLN did it...try and rally support against them...even make an arrest or 2, get a confession, then the person just vanishes...similar characteristics are appearing here. Hell, even if the Muslims did do it, the government might use it to blame Thaksin...or vice versa...

This is also a possibility. There seem to be three possibilities: (a) terrorists from the South; (B) the old government; and © the current government. I think (B) and © are more likely than (a) for reasons already stated, but I am certainly not ruling out (a).

On the stress issue, I guess it depends upon where you work. Where I work the level of stress and speculation is very high. There is no doubt about that. There is also considerable speculation about a possible further change in government (which may not be bloodless) and I suspect this adds to the stress. Will any of this come to pass? Not a clue, but that certainly is the state of mind right now among the upper and upper middle class Thais (the chattering classes) I work with.

I just want to point out a few things regarding the recent terror attacks:

1. Ammonium nitrate fertilizer bombs were using in the Bangkok bombings. These are exactly the same type of explosives currently used by the Muslim insurgents in the south. The detonation multiple explosive at the same time follows their tactics.

2. A article in the Bangkok post (or Nation) stated the Thai military had killed an insurgent in the south who had in his position plans to bomb Bangkok on new years at some of the locations where the actual bombs were placed.

3. It's unprecedented for Thai political groups to target civilians and/or foreign tourists for terror attacks to make political points. Usually they would simply assassinate the apposing party leaders.

4. Conspiracy theories aside, it's highly unlikely that IF TRT or the Junta executed these attacks, that they would actually build these bombs to mimic the Muslim insurgents.

5. There is no evidence linking these bombings to either political party. There is however circumstantial evidence (as listed above) linking them to the Muslim insurgents.

6. The Muslim insurgents have the most to gain by casing terror among the Thai populace and further destabilizing the political situation. This is in fact their stated objective.

Until substantial evidence is provided to the contrary, my money is on the Muslim insurgents causing this mess.

Until substantial evidence is provided to the contrary, my money is on the Muslim insurgents causing this mess...

You may be right; I certainly would bet any money on any of the possibilities. But if you are, doesn't that mean that Thailand in general, and Bangkok in particular, is now a substantially more dangerous place? (Not arguing that this is a reason for disputing your reasoning (it isn't), simply trying to confirm that I am properly assessing the practical outcome of your hunch.) It means that we may start to see in Bangkok the sort of bombings that have been occurring regularly in the South. That doesn't sound pleasant to me.

On what may (or may not) be a related subject, The Nation is reporting as follows:

Army denies coup rumours

Army chief and Council for National Security head Sonthi Bunyaratglin has flatly denied rumours sweeping the capital Thursday about an impending coup. (Stay tune with this story, which will be constantly updated in the next few hours)

He denied troops moblisation from the Second Army Region base in Nakhon Ratchasima. "There's no such movement," said the leader of the September 19 coup.

He also dismissed speculation that the September 19 coup leaders were about to stage another coup to boost its own power.

Assistant Army Commander in Chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has also denied intense rumours.

The anxiety of my co-workers may prove to be unfounded, but it's real. I have been hearing this stuff for a few days, which is why I made the comment about the stress level (in my office at least).

I've just had a long conversation with my GF who teaches around Laksi, she's reporting a lot rumours of bomb scares at gov schools in BKK,also at Future rangsit, large numbers of pupils not attending, general fear amongst all her colleagues.

There is a real lack of confidence in the official line coming from the government and its media.

JP

Archived