Dems in power. What's the difference in a totalitarian state?

Fidel

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good. Now you are qualified to run for president of the USA.

:)

p.s. JFK is the prez who came closest to getting us all nuked out of existence, with his Cuban Blockade. I remember going to school and looking at the sky, wondering if the nukes were already on their way. Thank God (or Marx) that Khrushie blinked first!

He would probably have to have a bible inserted in his arse and undergo major lobotomi before he could run for president of the USA. Of course he would also have to prove that he was born in the US but this could probably be arranged in Kao Sahn rd. :grin:

At the time of of the assasination of JFK I too was a schoolkid and couldn't care less but my mother (Canadian) was a great fan of JFK as was a majority of the Swedes. It took many years until I learned a little more about what really happened. The reason that Chrustjev backed down was that the Soviets were still inferior in nuclear capacity to the US, not that he was all that peace loving. Also the Soviet navy was very week at the time and had no chance to break the blockade. But I think you are right that the world has never been as close to a nuclear holocast as then.

regards

ALHOLK

As a child, Eisenhower was the only president I knew. Ike was a kindly grandfather-like man who ironically got along best with the Democrats, even though he had chosen to run as a Republican. Then the 1960 campaign came along and I remember Jack Kennedy as totally different. He seemed young and healthy and full of energy. (In fact, his health was not good -- but he managed to keep that secret.) When the Kennedy administration began, the White House was full of younger folks who played touch football on the lawn and ran around with Hollywood celebrities. It was a fun time -- and thus an absolute shock when JFK was murdered.

Now looking back, one has to ask ... what did JFK accomplish? He tried to push civil rights legislation, but it was really LBJ who got it done. JFK nearly got us nuked over Cuba, and he reversed the Eisenhower Doctrine to try to "save" South VN, thus getting us deeply involved in that war. (Ike considered SVN a lost cause and instead poured aid into Thailand.) All things considered, JFK was a nice young fellow. But his actual accomplishments consist of creating the Peace Corps and not very much else.

Fortunately for JFK, the press liked him and covered up his skirt chasing. He was a lot worse at it than Clinton, but Clinton didn't have enough sense to realise that times had changed.

I think it was his decision, and that of his henchmen...at the very least, the idiots aroundhim led him into it, and he thought it was a good idea. The point is, the military people told him it was a bad idea, and he signed off on it anyway...

GWB and those like him have a very bad set of ideas in terms of how they think the world should be, and are doing all they can to lead the world in a bad direction...for the first time in our existence, we need to hold them accountable.

Yes, I'm fairly certain that if Al Gore would have had the Presidency there would not have been a war in Iraq.

I also have my doubts that 9/11 would have happened if Gore was president.

I would agree that usually things run in a way that it doesn't mater as much who is at the helm...but in this case, we'd be in a very different world (and a better one) if Bush had never been president. And with him loading up his people in the judiciary (including the Supreme Court) the damage could be felt for many yeras to come in lost freedoms.

Yes, I'm fairly certain that if Al Gore would have had the Presidency there would not have been a war in Iraq.

I also have my doubts that 9/11 would have happened if Gore was president.

I would agree that usually things run in a way that it doesn't mater as much who is at the helm...but in this case, we'd be in a very different world (and a better one) if Bush had never been president. And with him loading up his people in the judiciary (including the Supreme Court) the damage could be felt for many yeras to come in lost freedoms.

Somebody open a window, it's getting hot in here.

Bush is just a puppet and big players pulling the strings! Bush hasn't achieved anything in his life before he became president, he rand constantly companies into the ground was digging dry holes in the dessert. The lobbyists around his father pushed him into senat because back in those days he was a very good debator. Bush is an empty vessel which gets filled up by the people who control america and make 1000s of billions by all these wars.

Sending more troops is definatly the best idea yet. They can't just leave the country, they have to finish the job, so lets just run them over with all their power. On the other hand. more troops means more targets! I am not even sure they are interested to end this war, having said that, by having more troops in that region it is only a few steps away from havig enough fighters to invade the Iran.

Archived