Class Action in the Pipeline

bust

Was talking to a lady I know who runs a small export business from Suvarnabhumi. Has invested a lot of money to set herself up with the new facilities relocating her entire operations, selling her apartment and buying a new property close to the airport to reduce her travelling time. She tells me today that it's just about a done deal that they are closing Suvarnabhumi and returning to Don Muang as the problems at the new airport are beyond a quick fix. The main concern is the runways are deteriorating at an alarming rate with safety concerns over the increasing number of cracks appearing. Some of the major businesses are already talking about a class action against the operators. Anyone else heard whispers similar?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really bad news for Thailands reputation. The selfish actions of a few always ruin it for the rest. Someone with some sense needs to take control of the situation and let rational behaviour reveal itself. Surely the big airlines have to take the lead in this matter and try to get it sorted. Bad runways isnt ideal to say the least at an airport. Its a lovely airport but it needs to get its act together quick and get this sorted.

Bust - ????

Class action suit - in Thailand?

Closing Suvarnabhumi - I think your friend has got her info from the grapevine and not the actual news.

The real info is the some domestic flights (not decided if any international) budget airlines and TG may relocate their non-connecting flights back to Don Muang sometime in March or April.

Has more to due with crowded conditions than with airport conditions, however that was mentioned as a reason - to allow space to relocate airlines during renovations at the new airport.

Probably a good idea. And before everyone says the difficulties of traveling from one airport to the other, remember these are point to point flights. The airline won't sell you a connecting flight that requires you to travel between the two airports.

I've heard it's a complex of bars a la Soi 10 that have sprung up in the middle of runway 1 that's causing the problems.

It has been reported that several problems have arisen as a consequence of this, not only are planes having to swerve and change their landing courses to avoid distracting players during intense connect four matches there have been rumors that one game of Jenga was ended prematurely by the back draft from a jet engine.

On Tuesday night a hangar that was being used for short times had to be evacuated so that aeroplanes could get in and on Wednesday a fight broke out between a bar owner and airport ground staff who she claims disconnected the power supply to her fridge and CD player which was playing "Hotel California" at the time so that they could "Make light for areoplane come landing soon."

A spokesman for the new airport (which I still can't spell) has said, "THe sooner we go back to Don Muang and let business return to normal the better"

Cheers

Hi PM.....Agree it sounds pretty wild but she was a little bit more than just "heard it through the grapevine". Actually sounded quiet emotional about it all. I remember when she was doing the move she kept saying she was worried that it was not ready and had been rushed. Everything you say about about crowding etc and the internal service problems can be fixed. But an airport needs runways first and most importantly. I remember the discussions before it opened about the cracking. You cannot fix them if it is a sub-standard substrate. Anyway time will tell.

I am only the messenger. Just repeating what I've been told from someone who runs her business from the new facilities. It would be quiet easy for the junta to do it as all they will do is blame Thaksin. I guess what would be worse, embarrassment or a major aviation disaster? Anyway we will see.

The airline won't sell you a connecting flight that requires you to travel between the two airports.

From what I read, the only domestic flights TG are keeping at the new airport are Chiang Mai, Phuket and Khon Kaen as 90% of international/domestic connections are to/from these 3 cities.

If you're one of the unlucky 10% going to another TG domestic destination and connecting through BKK, you'll need to change airports.

(Krabi is one example. I can't believe they're moving flights from BKK - Krabi back to DM. Must be heaps of international connections to Krabi).

Weird. And a pain in the ass for some people.

Archived