Would you do it for 9 million USD?

Khun_Kong

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will it be any better under whoever succeds GWB? I can't imagine it being any worse. :(

p.s. I don't know if I'd let INS completely off the hook here. I've mentioned on the board the US Army career NCO I knew that INS ordered the Army to discharge, saying they were coming to get him a deport him to Mexico -- even though he'd grown up in LA with a green card and served about 12 years in the US military, including Desert Storm! Took a special Act of Congress making him a US citizen to save the guy's butt.

Anyway, back to my original question ...

$9,000,000 USD for, what, only 10 months of torture. You come out alive, all body parts remaining with you. Reunited with family, possible/probable book/movies deals for even more dough. Gotta give up the privilege of passing through the US, however.

Wouldja do it?

Discuss (TM by OH)

Maybe. The Feds drafted my ass, ran me through 9 weeks of BCT (which showed me what it was like to be a slave), then sent me to 9 weeks AIT, followed by 3 more weeks of intensive infantry training. Then they sent me off to VN to see if they could get me killed. When I survived, they let me have a magnificent $175 a month to finish my university education.

Couldn't have been that much worse for $9 million.

:dunno:

And as has been pointed out, A country OTHER THAN THE USA started it all, had it not been for them, what happened next never would have happened. Hence, the USA owes him nothing. Canadians should not be questioning anything about the USA, they should instead be questioning what and how their country made the mistake that started all this.

And as has been pointed out, A country OTHER THAN THE USA started it all, had it not been for them, what happened next never would have happened. Hence, the USA owes him nothing.

Oops. Guess I forgot about the "They-started-it-so-we-have-no-reason to-behave-as-a-civilized-country" clause. Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking about the other USA, the one that would not ship somebody off to be tortured, the pre-twat USA.

Canadians should not be questioning anything about the USA, they should instead be questioning what and how their country made the mistake that started all this.

Apparently, they have.

Hence the investigation (which the US chose to not participate in).

Hence the $9M reward.

Hence the apology.

That's how Canada dealt with the error. How did the US deal with it?

Can't tell ya. Wouldn't be prudent. Might endanger national security.

If I remember this story, it went something like this....

The man was labeled by the Canadians as a person WITH possible terrorist ties (he came from Syria).

He got on the USA no-fly list.

USA took him into custody and decided to send him to another country where he could be tortured, etc.

When the USA was done with him, the USA decided to deport him to Syria over his objections because he feared he would be killed by the Syrians.

When the USA sent him to Syria, he seemed to have disappeared while in that country.

I would say the USA no-fly list which brands a person is most of the problem and then how the USA handled the situation was the rest of the problem.

You both have very valid points, but miss the big picture, we, the USA, once again acted on bad info. The result is/was "a possible problem" was shipped off to syria, where he came from, and Alledgedly tourtured...how can this be proven? I maintain, right or wrong, there is a lot more to this.

Archived