The 90 in 180 rule

Lord Toad

A good friend who comes and goes a lot at the moment is now always delayed at the airport as they count days in country from several entries since October 1. The other evening the immigration officer even suggested he get a visa when he comes to stop the delay! When asked if he had to the answer was a shrug.

Seems the manual counting of days for regular visitors at immigration is causing increasing problems and pissing off the immigration officers. Why on earth the much vaunted computer system can not do it can only be attributed to TIT.

However on another board there are suggestions this 90 in 180 day ruling will end soon. From my friends and other's experience it looks like the immigration officers have had enough of it: so maybe it will!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few oil workers get hit for only 26 days due to the 90 in 180 rule. They will have to go back early or get a visa in Penang or something as they are not going back to the UK.

A stupid rule, ill thought out and in no way making the people it was supposed to affect actually go legitimate.

Thailand has got to come up with a sensible way of operating businesses here and being inside the legal system instead of continual knee jerk reactions like this one.

Went to Mae Sai immigration on Tuesday to get a thirty day extension on a sixty day tourist visa, prepared to pay the 1900B.

They told me to go to the border, cross over and I'd get a thirty day exemption on return. No charge, other than the 500B Burma immigration fee.

My last exemption ran out 28th December, the last of about three dozen concurrent ones.

Looks like it's all gone in the 'too hard basket'.

Archived