Cell Phone, 2 questions...

scott808

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have GSM in USA, you are either Cingular or T-Mobile, both will unlock the phone for you but Cingular draggs their feet, 2 week turnaround waiting for a tech to call, yadda-yadda-yadda, NO Worry, you just get it unlocked at many booths at MBK in Bangkok for a small fee, then you will be able to switch between Cingular and your Thai SIM whenever you want. I would tell you to ensure that your phonebook, etc is saved on your phone and not your SIM, that way you have access to all your number regardless which SIM is inside the phone. Also, much cheaper to call back to USA using Thai SIM than time from US carrier, as you can use various direct dial numbers (008 or 009, for example) or phonecards (such as Phonenet) which do not use time on you phone SIM.

Also, much cheaper to call back to USA using Thai SIM than time from US carrier, as you can use various direct dial numbers (008 or 009, for example) or phonecards (such as Phonenet) which do not use time on you phone SIM.

When I make weekly calls to San Francisco from my mobil (1-2 call) I direct dial 0011 then the area code+number. Am I missing something...any difference in dialing 008 or 009?

Please explain.

Thanks,

-O

Instead of 001 prefix, use 008. That is, instead of 001-1-415-123-4567, dial 008-1-415-123-4567.

001 costs ~B22/min. 008 costs B7/min. The difference is that 001 uses the regular phone lines while 008 is VOIP. But you cannot tell the difference (usually).

Cheers,

SD

Archived