Cell Phone, 2 questions...

scott808

I have two questions concerning the use of an American cell phone in Thailand. I have a Motorola V551, it's tri-band.

1. Can I use the phone as is to make local and international calls, or do I still have to buy a new chip when I get to Thailand?

2. The charger for the phone has a typical american non-polarity plug. Can it be used in Thailand or do I need a plug adapter?

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Get a local SIM...much cheaper. 1 2 call ...250 baht with 50 Baht call credits....buy at any mobile phone store. Can use your US No. but International roaming rates are VERY expensive.

2. Bring your charger and buy an adapter. Robinsons sell them for approx 89 Baht. You can buy a Universal adapter (adapts / adjusts to every Country) at Airports and through Amex, but I think around $30.....Robinsons works for me.

Enjoy....DS

Right on DS/DC, but...the plug used in Thailand and in the US is the same, so no adapter needed.

But Scott, is your charger 120V only or universal voltage (100-240V)? It will be marked on it somewhere. If the latter, then just plug it in and go. Otherwise, you'll need to buy one here in LoS.

That Moto is actually a quad-band GSM, I think. It'll be fine in LoS too.

Cheers,

SD

V551 seems to be a Quad-Band phone. The phone will have to be unlocked to use a Thai SIM. It is cheaper to use a Thai SIM to call local Thailand numbers and USA numbers. International roaming is very expensive!

The charger should say 120-240, ie, universal charger. All the sockets I have seen in the hotels are compatible with USA plugs. No adapter is needed.

I have the Moto V551 too. Have been using it in Bkk ths past two years. My V551 is unlocked (Cingular) so yours will have to be unlocked too in order to use it in Thailand. The charger works in Thaialand too as it is a dual volatage 120/240 V 60/50 Cycle Charger). You will have to purchase an adapter that has round Male plug on one end and a regular us flat blade access on the other end. Can buy from many places in Bkk. I got mine from Big C on Ratchdapisek Rd accross from International Trade Center. Paid about $1.50 for it.

Archived