US Navy Returns to Cambodia

preahko

Well, I guess this makes up for all the bombs the US dropped in eastern Cambodia from 1969-73, making conditions perfect for the rise of the Khmer Rouge...

Historic US Navy return to Cambodia

(BangkokPost.com from reports)

The US guided missile frigate USS Gary has arrived in Cambodia for the first port visit by a Navy ship in more than three decades, the US 7th Fleet announced in a news release.

Royal Cambodian sailors stood in formation and many local residents waited on the pier as the Gary - with some 230 sailors - pulled into Sihanoukville harbor.

"Itâ??s certainly a special honor to be chosen to be that ship," Cmdr. Joseph Deleon, the Garyâ??s commanding officer, was quoted in the release as saying.

Crewmembers checked impoverished villagersâ?? health and painted a clinic in western Cambodia on Saturday, the Associated Press reported, while at a nearby Buddhist pagoda, a team of Navy doctors examined those in a queue of about 200 villagers, some holding their crying babies.

A civil affairs coordinator attached to the US Embassy in Cambodia said the shipâ??s doctors were set to offer primary health and dental care to about 300 villagers Sunday, according to the wire service report.

link:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=116715

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<< Well, I guess this makes up for all the bombs the US dropped in eastern Cambodia from 1969-73, making conditions perfect for the rise of the Khmer Rouge... >>

Yeah, I don't supposed the North Vietnamese Army occupying the border areas had a damn thing to do with it. :(

well, duh, that's the "reason" the US gave for the bombing (done without the approval or knowledge of congress, to boot), but the US always has a "reason" when they butt their noses in where they don't belong and start killing people ("weapons of mass destruction," anyone??)

anyway, the point of my comment preceding the original story is that it's ironic (and sad) that, given all the US has done to Cambodia, they do little PR "good will" shit like this, as if everything's okay now...

preahko

Yeah, I don't supposed the North Vietnamese Army occupying the border areas had a damn thing to do with it.

Most likely less than the fact that the yanks removed (then) prince Sihanouk as he woluden't support the invasion of a neighboring country and kiss yankee arse. The replacement general Lon Nol would most likely have made both Hitler and Stalin look like civilized blokes, that is if he had been intelligent enough to make himself a name. You might also recall that the US government supported Pol Pot who murdered more than 20% of his own people. So in summary the USA supported the genocide in Cambodia. I have been there and I can assure you that that the people haven't forgotten that.

"...given all the US has done to Cambodia, they do little PR "good will" shit like this, as if everything's okay now..."

-A lot comes down to "that was then, this is now..." True, a few token gestures won't make up for it all, but then we should start some place right? First step to full normalized relations, build a new friend ship etc...the biggest journey starts with one step etc...of course we can always exploit all that later...

History suggests that you are without a clue and so does your post way back. I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to remember the the shit the yanks caused in the far east. I have also been there and spoken to people. You would be amazed what the Vietnamese people can say to people when they understand that they are not yanks.

Archived