US Navy Returns to Cambodia

preahko

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are "legacies" from all wars. What gets me is that some of the Euros here bitch about U.S. interventions. Fuck all. If it wasn't for the U.S. "intevening" in Europe 65 years ago, some of the jerk-offs on this board would be speaking German...or, after the war, Russian. I don't hear them bitching about that. Probably because they'd rather live under a Nazi regime or communism. So, I could really give a fuck about what slant they want to put on things. Very selective memories about some shit.

HH

"

There are "legacies" from all wars. What gets me is that some of the Euros here bitch about U.S. interventions. Fuck all. If it wasn't for the U.S. "intevening" in Europe 65 years ago, some of the jerk-offs on this board would be speaking German...or, after the war, Russian. I don't hear them bitching about that. Probably because they'd rather live under a Nazi regime or communism. So, I could really give a fuck about what slant they want to put on things. Very selective memories about some shit."

You're really not very good at history are you? The myth that America saved the world from Nazism seems to forget that the German first team, the Afrika Corp was behind barbed wire in North Africa, well thrashed my Montgomery, and the second team were getting their lumps in Russia when the Americans invaded Europe. (With a little help from the Poms, Canadians, Poles, Frogs et al.)

Let's not for get the million troops Tito's communists tied up in Yugoslavia either, they would have been handy on D Day.

Sure the money helped but paying it back after the war bankrupted the UK for decades.

Interesting what you probably hear from "fellow travellers", I'm sure. You'd probably be equally amazed at the stuff I've heard from VN refugees who've settled here in the U.S. I'm quite certain that there are different accounts.

HH

Funny you say that...as I seem to recall the Americans WERE NOT the first westerners in the South East Asia region fucking around...

Regarding Cambodia...Yes...ok USA back Pol Pot, Vetnam, bless their pink little hearts, "liberated them" from Pol Pot out of the goodness of their hearts...or was it for other interests? Then China was pissed and invaded Vietnam as punishment for invading the peacful Pol Pot Government...wait, China and the USA were in cohoots on Pol Pot?...something like that right...? Oh, And BTW, Who was Pol Pot Educated by...? CIA? No...GWB...? No...oh yeah, the same Assholes who beat the USA to SEA in the first place. Yet we get blamed and they skate...

Regarding what Alholk said about the Vietnamese saying this and that when they realize you are not American...odd is, I talked to Thais, Khmers, Laos, Viets etc...when they find out I AM an American, they tell me how great America is, where their relatives live, and how sucky people from other countries are...

I am 100% positive, when they talk to a German, it is the same for Germans and Germany, etc...all depends who they are talking to as to who they hate or love (sort of like Thai girls telling us how much they hate Thai men, right before they go off to fuck their Thai BF and get knocked up). Hell, I even met People who hate Swedes...go figure?

Regarding those who want to trivialize the USA's involvement in WWII...er think you could have done it without us? Funny, on one hand some bitch that we did little, and had tons of help...on the other, they bitch that we took too long to get involved...

Think UK would have lasted with out USA's help? As I recall, Hitler was bulldozing his way through Europe, including that one country that laid down (you know, the one who was fucking around in SEA years before the USA got there) And was poised to storm Britain, just about the time we got off our asses and decided to "lend a small hand."

O.k. New debate...what would have happened if we stayed home? Should some dumb plow boy in Iowa give a shit if UK, or france, or Holland, or Sweden etc or fell to Germany? It wasn't his fight or concern right? None of his damned business right? Hence he/the USA should have stayed home right? I mean this is/was the argument for Not being in Vietnam or Kuwait or many other places wasn't/isn't it? You guys can't have it both ways here...know you want it that way, but sorry, just can't be.

I am the first to admit that my country has tons of faults, but this constant USA can do nothing right shit is getting a bit much. I propose we cut off all aid, pull troops out of all places, and never again help anyone with anything, Don't buy or sell anything to anyone, no oil, now trade, NOTHING. Change our name, all new management, and start over...but then there will be those who bitch about that.

I Have pointed out before, the USA is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. Seems the rest of the world loves telling us where to go and what to do, and where not to go and what not to do, except of course when their sorry asses need our help...can't have it all ways....so the rest of the world make up your fucking minds!

I was going to ask that, which country lost the most soldiers? I am not sure, never saw the states...but 400,000 is no small change for a war were we only lent a small hand, with all that help we go from Poland, Yugoslavia and france...and of course, it really wasn't our fight anyway, and they could have done it without us...

If the USA didn't get involved in WW II, they would be speaking German in the UK right now!

France, what a joke.

Poland tried, but got overrun.

Holland, got overrun.

Poland and Holland continued to fight the Germans as best they could even when occupied...France, they cooperated and help get thousands of Jews killed.

That's history.

Yes, the USA screws up a lot but as one manager once told me, "...just do something, even if it is wrong, do something"!

Why keep comparing WW2 with what is happening now? I grew up in England during WW2. People there welcomed GIs as liberators. That was always my impression growing up and I'm grateful for what America did for Europe.

I had serious doubts about Vietnam though and the Iraq invasion is a disaster.

Sigh... No ones denies the American input in WW2, or sneers at their losses. Both times they came in late and a true cynic could say they were waiting to see which way to jump. I prefer to believe that they saw that if both Hitler and the Japs were allowed to win that eventually they would have come and got the US as well. Their input in rebuilding Europe and Japan after the war was invaluable, I suspect the Poms sometimes wish they'd been on the other side.

Enough of that already.

You guys have to stop being so thin skinned. You belong to the most powerful nation in the history of mankind. The US makes the Roman, British and Greek Empires look small potatoes. Sure they ruled with the sword and you rule with the dollar, hey I've got nothing against dollars, I'd love some more.

But do you think that the Brits, Romans or Greeks gave a rat's arse what the rest of the world thought of them? When the redcoats were blowing Indian mutineers from the mouths of cannons and the Romans were feeding barbarians to the lions do you think they got all defensive when some one said it wasn't right? They never gave a shit. Enjoy the spotlight Yanks, if one thing that histories never wrong about, it won't last, it never does and the collapse is always from within, then the number two power picks up the slack.

Make sure your grandies are learning Chinese.

Archived