Moving from US to Bangkok

Dali

... and a zillion things to think about + take care of. After 20 good years with a Fortune 500 company a new division president came in, reorganized things, and put me out the door so he could bring in a former employee of his to take my job (division VP of Finance). So I'm taking the severence and heading to LOS! :)

Already have a 1 year non-immigrant business visa. Plan to get an apartment in BKK while I look for work or maybe even a business to buy. In the meantime I'll probably declare myself a business consultant and try to get a work visa for that.

A few questions:

(1) I've done a lot of research on serviced apartments, regular apartments and housing locators. I've identified 5 or 6 good serviced 1 bedroom apartments in the Sukhumvit and Ploenchit areas that I want to check out, but they are all about $2000 USD/month, which is equal to my current mortgage payment for a very nice 4 bedroom townhome in a trendy section of a mid-major US city. I could possibly go that high, but would prefer to get down to maybe the $1200 range (or less). There do seem to be several nice non-serviced but furnished apartments in that range in the Asoke - Thonglor areas. If you rent one of those, what is the typical availability and cost for maid services?

(2) I've primarily focused on the Sukhumvit / Ploenchit areas. A lady I met through the on-line personals is suggesting I get an apartment near the Saphan Khwai BTS station where she lives, which would be much cheaper (1 bedroom furnished apt for less than $400 USD/mo). I know nothing about that area, but am guessing it is a very Thai area with few farangs and I may find it difficult to get by with English and my very limited Thai. Is anyone here familiar with the area? (actually I suspect she wants to keep me away from the farang P4P scene and someplace where she can keep an eye on me).

(3) I want to network with other western business people who may be able to help me with my job search, give helpful transition suggestions for living in LOS and/or just provide moral support. What neighborhoods are popular with US / British / English speaking business people?

(4) Trying to figure out what to do with all my furniture, appliances and other stuff. Initially I'll just put it in storage, but if I find work with long term potential, I'll want at least some of it shipped to Thailand. How practical is that? My major appliances + furniture from my living room, dining room and master bedroom are all nice and not too old, so I'd like to have them if shipping isn't too outrageous. Anyone recommend any particular US moving companies with good BKK connections I should talk to?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Staying Lower Sukumvit Ploenchit area is great for a party but if you've got long term business plans may prove a little distracting. Obviously a lot of that depends on your self discipline and focus however temptation is constantly on your door.

Sphan Kwai you may be one of very few farangs and that can feel a little isolated however you're not too far from the SkyTrain and be in farangland enjoying a burger and expat conversation in 20 minutes.

I'd say Thong Lor, Ekamai Ohn Nut would be good areas once you're settled in as they're quite upmarket and mixed Thai Farang.

A good plan would be to take a 6 or 12 month lease in a very farang friendly area like Ploenchit, Asoke, Lower Sukumvit and then move a little further out and away from the madness once you've found your feet. Satthorn is also an option worth exploring farang friendly and close to the central business district.

Cheers

Saphan Thaksin is a nice area; it's where a lot of the nicest 5 star hotels are like the Oriental, Shangrila, and Peninsula. You've got the sky train, river taxi, tops grocery store, robinsons department store, and river views. Take a look at the silom location of centrepoint.com and there are a few other places around there too. My experience with serviced apartments is the price is very negotiable, particularly if you are staying for an extended length of time. But if the $400 place you know of is decent, I would grab that in a heart beat.

Don't forget the Sathorn-Silom area, which happens to be the banking CBD.

Personally I think you are being over optimistic you can make any network connections that will allow you get a position in Thailand you expect.

If you insist, best place is a golf course. People you need to meet do network anywhere near Sukhumvit go-gos (or this board :barf: )

Note thread below this where people are bragging about 900 baht a month electric bills. :crazy:

TH

Dali,

I'm with SiLeakHunt, but would add the Phra Khanong area to his recommendations of Thong Lo, Ekkamai and On Nut. Away from all the droves along the lower Sukhumvit hawkers obstacle course. Yet close enough to be at any beer bar/club at Nana, or Cowboy, or to drop in at you favorite restaurant. Travel by motorcycle taxi to the BTS and your just a minuets to any part of the city.

If you look around you can find some nice hideouts in smaller buildings in your price range. My own preference is to avoid the bigger serviced apartments, and opt for a smaller 6-10 unit place on a side Soi.

-O

To parachute into LOS and expect to make contacts/business, etc...good luck!

IMO, it will not happen for a long, long time, if ever. /quote]

Guess that depends on where you hang out. I have found, as someone pointed out above, the golf course to be a great place to make contacts (in BKK and anywhere), and have also made BKK business contacts on planes, in retaurants, etc. The more people you add to your network, the more likely you'll get lucky and hit on a winner. Its all a big gamble I know, but most things worthwhile are, and I'm dedicated to making it happen. Not just coming to BKK for the nightlife, I actually believe SE Asia has an incredible future, as long as it doesn't get screwed up by some of the things that we've seen going on in recent years.

Archived