Moving from US to Bangkok

Dali

I have moved here and found a job without having any contacts. You will need to be a bit disciplined in making your job search number 1.

I wasn't making much, but it was without a doubt, the funnest two years of my life.

Would that be kitchen porter or (worse still) English teacher?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back to the subject...

The voltage in Thailand is 220 volts, in the USA 110 volts so all your USA appliances would need a step-down transformer(s) and those are expensive.

Frig, washer, dryer, and TV draw lots of amps, which means you need a large (expensive) transformer(s).

The appliances are cheaper enough here, so I suggest to buy what you need here.

The appliances are cheaper enough here, so I suggest to buy what you need here.

That's just not true. Appliances are more expensive in Thailand than the US by a long shot, sometimes double the price. I would venture to say EVERYTHING, bar none, that is imported is more expensive than the US. Doesn't matter if you are talking TV's, refrigerators, microwaves, cameras, computers, perfumes, sofas, maglites, or anything else. In fact, electronics type goods manufactured in Thailand cost more than buying them in the US. For example: Seagate hard drives made in Thailand cost more than the US. Try to figure that one out.

If you care about the value of your dollar, I would definitely bring in all electronic goods that work on 220V. You won't regret it. And with the crap exchange rates, the price gap is just getting worse.

Frig, washer, dryer, and TV draw lots of amps, which means you need a large (expensive) transformer(s).

Not that expensive IMHO. I run my US big side-by-side fridge w/icemaker and all the bells and whistles on a 500W xformer bought at the Emporium for B1700. It is oversized by 18% according to the Ohms law calcs I did, and never has failed in four years...

Cheers,

SD

I seem to recall that the Bangkok Post web site has an excellent serviced apartment link. Also, there is a very good booklet of serviced apartments that you can pick up once in BKK. I have a copy in my apartment, will have a look at it tonight for additional info. I looked at some decent serviced apartments in the Sukhumvit area for about 25,000 baht a month. One of them was a one minute walk off Sukhumvit Soi 33, a Soi with a lot of upscale bars. Also it was was not much more than a 5 minute walk to skytrain, ideal. Another 25,000 baht serviced apartment I looked at was about a 10+ minute walk down Suk Soi 11 I think. If you have money to burn $2000. will get you a pretty fancy place, but if you would rather spend money on food and other things Thailand is noted for, set your sights a little bit lower. I may have the names of these 25,000 baht serviced apartments written down, will check if interested.

I know a good apartment broker that helped me and a friend get apartments. Mine was a furnished one bedroom on Soi 4 Nana for $600/month. My friend found a really nice place near Victory Monument for about $1100 unfurnished.

We both got maid service twice a week for $40/month.

The apartment speaks great english but is thai.

The booklet I mentioned in my prior post is actually a 'Serviced Apartments' map. The copy I have is dated Feb/March 2007. The company that produces this map has a web site. I had a look and it appears worthwhile to check out. The site has maps, and the Nana/Asoke area map lists several dozen serviced apartments:

www.servicedapartments-bangkok.com

Thanks freetime for the good info. I did have the BKK Post listing, but wasn't aware of the Bangkok Map Serviced Apts website.

I'm starting to think the Thonglor area might be a good option, as having constant temptation at the doorstep in the lower Suk /central business distric / embassy areas might be a bit much.

Archived