Moving from US to Bangkok

Dali

I'm starting to think the Thonglor area might be a good option, as having constant temptation at the doorstep in the lower Suk /central business distric / embassy areas might be a bit much.

As any drug addict can tell you, geography rarely solves the temptation problem - you'll need to find your own ways to keep on track! (and for the record, the eye candy around Thonglor is some of the best...).

lucky bastard, have fun and good luck -

YimSiam

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to leave the appliances with the home I'm selling, and the cost to move my furnishings and belongings isn't as bad as I feared. About $7000 US to deliver door to door from US east coast to Bangkok residence. Includes packing, wrapping, shipping, loading & unloading, one month storage in the US and insurance. This for one king bedroom, dining room, living room and small home office + misc belongings, total estimated weight 3800 pounds. Estimated shipping time is 4-6 weeks. US carrier is Allied and Bangkok agent is Boonma. Still don't know if I'll do it though.

On the other hand, the cost of sending small stuff can be outrageous. Today I sent a letter via UPS Express Mail to Bangkok and it cost $52!

I've also been researching the cost of shipping one set of golf clubs + one large suitcase of clothing... and the prices are coming to $600 - $650 for 5 - 10 day delivery! I could almost buy an airline ticket for that price. Anyone have suggestions for a cheaper alternative? I checked UPS, FedEx and a company that specializes in shipping golf clubs,

Decided to leave the appliances with the home I'm selling, and the cost to move my furnishings and belongings isn't as bad as I feared. About $7000 US to deliver door to door from US east coast to Bangkok residence. Includes packing, wrapping, shipping, loading & unloading, one month storage in the US and insurance. This for one king bedroom, dining room, living room and small home office + misc belongings, total estimated weight 3800 pounds. Estimated shipping time is 4-6 weeks. US carrier is Allied and Bangkok agent is Boonma. Still don't know if I'll do it though.

On the other hand, the cost of sending small stuff can be outrageous. Today I sent a letter via UPS Express Mail to Bangkok and it cost $52!

I've also been researching the cost of shipping one set of golf clubs + one large suitcase of clothing... and the prices are coming to $600 - $650 for 5 - 10 day delivery! I could almost buy an airline ticket for that price. Anyone have suggestions for a cheaper alternative? I checked UPS, FedEx and a company that specializes in shipping golf clubs,

About shipping furniture, I think I will buy there.In your case $7,000. plus what you get for your stuff, will buy everything there, easy.

If you been to Chaingmai, furniture factories, you can buy some great stuff, really cheap. Really nice, Bedroom Set, for about $2000. less the Mattress. Executive Desk and Chair, about the same.

USPS, 3 day service to BKK (often takes only two, form the east coast USA) Small size fixed rate $5., Large envelope, $15.

USPS, 44 lbs, 20 kilos, about $75., 6 weeks.

Whether $7K makes sense is going to depend on the quality and style of furnishings you desire.

If you want luxury western style furnishings (real leathers, hardwoods, full sized, etc--not plastics, particle board, miniatures etc) here are some numbers derived by scouring shopping malls in Bangkok. A sofa is $2-3K. An office chair is $1-$2K. So as you can see it won't take long to go well past the $7K figure.

If quality doesn't matter you can find cheap furnishings the locals go for at very cheap prices (Thai's simply don't care about quality, ergonomics, or aesthetics--when shopping it's price, price, and price for them). The one bright spot is I too have heard solid hard wood items can be found cheap in Chiang Mai if you know where to look or try Bang Po in Bangkok. On the other hand if you are set on western class furnishings shipping may be the way to go.

Whether $7K makes sense is going to depend on the quality and style of furnishings you desire.

If you want luxury western style furnishings (real leathers, hardwoods, full sized, etc--not plastics, particle board, miniatures etc) here are some numbers derived by scouring shopping malls in Bangkok. A sofa is $2-3K. An office chair is $1-$2K. So as you can see it won't take long to go well past the $7K figure.

If quality doesn't matter you can find cheap furnishings the locals go for at very cheap prices (Thai's simply don't care about quality, ergonomics, or aesthetics--when shopping it's price, price, and price for them). The one bright spot is I too have heard solid hard wood items can be found cheap in Chiang Mai if you know where to look or try Bang Po in Bangkok. On the other hand if you are set on western class furnishings shipping may be the way to go.

For sure, cheap can be had...

If you go up to Chiang Mai, easy to find the shops that make outstanding quality stuff...

I am getting rid of Ethan Allen Stuff, in the states...

Have toyed with the idea of shipping the 1 container, allowed a year of household stuff, back to the USA yearly, figure a 3 or 4 time the cost profit can be made. Have known others to do this.

Rather, than a business, however, I am thinking, to bring the high end stuff back, at the end of my stay, for personal use, at the end of my 5 year plus stay.

I also, believe, there will be duty to be paid, importing high end goods...

Customs / Duties Laws for Importing Good to LOS:

No customs duties on Personal Effects broght in to LOS at time of entry (i.e. clothes, shoes, books, etc, but excluding autos, weapons, ammunition and food items).

Household Effects that you owned and used prior to moving to LOS (such as televisions, major appliances, household decorations, etc) are exempt from duties and taxes for: One unit of each such item for a single person move, or Two units of each such item for a family moving. Additional units are subject to normal customs duties.

Foreigners moving to LOS must also show permission to work or reside in LOS for at least one year.

AND: The duty exemption is only applicable for the time period starting one month before your arrival and ending 6 months after your arrival in LOS.

Yeah, that's what the law says, but last time we moved back to LoS, it cost us B20K in tea money to get our stuff outta customs! And that was with an upper class Thai (Mrs SD) doing the clearance. The sticking point seems to be that each box was not labelled with our name, passport number/country and list of contents (that was done on a bill of lading only and they want it on each box).

Good luck.

Regards,

SD

Archived