Board crap

khunsanuk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I did - I said I'd even asked you that before! Specifically IF it was me being parried (Thinking back to JJ's Yappy Dog) then IF I asked you for the IP address then - as written above, I'd also expect you NOT to give it to me!

IF you gave us the IP addy of someone parading me or a mate then I would think justifiably that it was a bad move on your part. YOUR integrity NOT to give me that information, and I say here again I HAVE ASKED for it in the past (ironically involving the same people) you REFUSED to give me that information, however you DID clear the name of someone I thought guilty.

Clear as mud?

REGARDLESS who was being wrong, lets take Mighty Mouse, someone who got on your nerves ;) , it would be AS SERIOUS if you broke confidentiality and gave MM's IP to anyone else, as much as he painedd you!

Clear?

In other words, REGARDLESS who the pain in the arse person is, the main issue here is PRIVACY, their privacy, and the PERCIEVED PRIVACY of ALL posters.

THIS is paramount to the success of the board. If people can't post anonimously, or THINK they can't post anonimously, then this board will FAIL!

HENCE, My questions to you now.

Given this is a common type of board software, with many people using the same software on other boards, have you EVER heard of a hack that allows a hacker to see a poster's IP on this software?

I've looked and not heard of this.

Hence I am thinking that IF a leak took place there could be other reasons a leak took place. As mine and all posters confidentiality is determined by the responce to this problem.

Hi,

"In other words, REGARDLESS who the pain in the arse person is, the main issue here is PRIVACY, their privacy, and the PERCIEVED PRIVACY of ALL posters."

I agree.

"Given this is a common type of board software, with many people using the same software on other boards, have you EVER heard of a hack that allows a hacker to see a poster's IP on this software?"

Short answer, yes. Just recently a fellow board member found some holes that allowed him to completely take over someone's account. He mentioned this to me, I passed it on to the developers and they fixed it.

"Hence I am thinking that IF a leak took place there could be other reasons a leak took place. As mine and all posters confidentiality is determined by the responce to this problem."

While I agree that this is serious and I would like to see an answer, I do think you are putting too much emphasize on the value of an IP address. The most info you can get from an IP is a rough idea of where someone lives (and with rough I mean city at most).

Sanuk!

Undestood about IP addies, in fact I am banned from another board for posts I didn't make, I happen to share thanks to true a IP addy with someone who did make some rather interesting posts.

Which raises the next point, if it only points to a ISP, then how could CT claim to know who the troll was? Which gets back to my thinking to investigate all ways of knowing who the poster was, i.e. a leak from Mr Anon who tippedd CT off,

DOG

Hi,

"Which raises the next point, if it only points to a ISP, then how could CT claim to know who the troll was?"

Good point. Although in this case the troll shares an IP address with only 1 other board member. Even so, one would need access to the database to check this.

I do not have an answer to this, but I would find it hard to believe that one of the Mods leaked the info. Mainly because I can not see what they would gain by doing this. As far as I am aware all of them are neutral with regards to the people involved (i.e. the person behind Helmut and CT).

Sanuk!

I personnaly find the never-ending and childish "insiders jokes" of some multiple-posts members MUCH more annoying and boring than the occasionnal egos battles or trolls intrusions.

You have said this many times before, yet you keep comming back to this forum...

I have just been informed that people suspect moderators. I don't know who the moderators are but it never occurred to me it could be a moderator. If a mod would tell me about this I wouldn't have said a word since Helmut would have been gone in a short period of time anyways! I was contacted via MSN and gave KS all informations including the MSN adress.

I say it again, it wasn't a mod!

Hi,

Thanks, CT.

Could you check your PT and confirm or deny my thoughts on the process of the person contacting you. If I am correct, I think I found out what happened and there would NOT be a leak (technical or human) in that case.

Sanuk!

Archived