Airport currency exchange warning

dddave

A few nights ago, I flew into Survanabhumi from a visa run to Kuala Lumpur; it was late and I was in a hurry. I still had about 500 Ringut (Malaysian currency) on me, a bit less than $150 U.S..

As I went thru immigration, I noticed a Currency Exchange kiosk immediately past the immigration area; there was no line so I went over as soon as I was stamped in.

Now bad on me: I wasn't paying attention and hadn't worked out in my own head what I should be getting, as I had pulled the Ringut out of my dollar account and didn't know the direct exchange rate into Baht.

In my years coming to Thailand, I had always gotten decent exchange rates at Airport kiosks so when she handed me the stack of Baht, I just tucked it into my wallet and headed for the taxi line.

Only when I was in the cab did the nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right bubble up so I took out the receipt she had given me and belatedly began reading it. They had given me a rate of 4.5 Baht per Ringut and when I finally got my brain to work it out from $ to Baht to Ringut, I realized I'd been fucked royally.

I confirmed it the next morning. The official exchange rate was almost B10 per ringut that day, twice the rate they gave me.

Obviously, the kiosk outside Immigration is a sucker kiosk, placed specifically for dumbells such as me who blindly rely on trust from past experience and don't do the math, I can only blame myself.

So here we have yet another Survanabhumi scam, this oh so moral regime allowing visitors to be ripped-off at the very gateway to the Kingdom.

dddave, you should have got 9.19 - exchange rate of today. Still I'm surprised, I never use airport exchange places (only exception was once in Papeete) as around the world these places are almost always scams. BKK has sofar been the exception as those booths are run by banks, use bank names and give the same exchange rates as bank offices outside the airport. If there's a bank name on your receipt contact the bank and complain. Else the sad truth is that this scam has finally reached Thailand.

DDDDave I travel a lot between thailand and Malaysia.

Bad news is all thai exchanges screw the ringit. ONLY change yur money back to baht in Malaysia, slightly better, but not much.

No idea why as most currency exchanges in thailand work on a few percent margin, ringit is 20%+ margin

DOG

I'm surprised at that variance. No way they can they give that exchange rate and be considered honest or ethical. If the airport kiosk was bank connected, I would find a downtown branch and complain, big time. They don't like even civil confrontation, so you may make some headway on a rebate. If they don't respond I would file a written complaint with someone or somewhere. Might just gather dust, but would make me feel better. That exchange rip off is close to fraud.

banks have a reasonable spread even on Ringgit!

as per now in Kasikorn bank the buy at 9.62 and sell at 10.13

this was definitely cheating. and "organized" cheating, not by a individual employee as you got a receipt.

so you lost about 75 USD! maybe worth to address to Airport Authorities and TAT

no idea who runs this exchange boots at the airport! what does the receipt say?

ddave - does the receipt state indeed "ringgit"?

if so, you've been royally rammed indeed and should complain.

most airport shops (moneychangers or otherwise) anywhere in the world are worth avoiding, imho. One exception is the (state-bank owned) exchange shop at hanoi's airport.

They'll pretty much only change 50 or 100RM notes in Thailand as well.

The standard rate at exchange kioks is usually just over 8 baht to the ringy-dingy.

As ND said, MUCH better to change in Penang or KL before leaving Malaysia. You'll get closer to 10 in those places.

" there was no line so I went over "

Probably no line for good reasons . Question : what did the currency exchange-list say which they are supposed to show ?

ddddddddave , I promise to check this for you on this Saturday providing i am not totally overwhelmend by lovely Nok's welcome ceremony . I promise to try to do my best .

BuBi

Well, yes, I sometimes (usually) use the airport exchange (the old airport anyway) but only enough to get back to hotel - and later bank.

I seem to try to keep enough baht on me to avoid this. But once back home, heck knows where I hid it.

I got money hidden in my floors, walls, etc. I do this just so my family will have to rip apart the place to get all my money. When I'm dead or dying on life support in hospital.

:rip:

Archived