What Thais think of old farangs

wonderlust

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/20/business/thai.php

"We are getting a lot of weird retirees here," Vongthip said. "They can't survive in your country so they come here."

"I've seen so many old farangs with young Thai women," said Nattaya Rattanamanee, 31, an accountant working at a hotel on the resort island of Samui, using the Thai word for Westerners. "These old farangs damage the reputation of Thailand; they turn Thailand into a land of prostitutes."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I've seen so many old farangs with young Thai women," said Nattaya Rattanamanee, 31, an accountant working at a hotel on the resort island of Samui, using the Thai word for Westerners. "These old farangs damage the reputation of Thailand; they turn Thailand into a land of prostitutes."

I hadn't noticed.

As a tourist destination, Thailand shares much in common with the Netherlands: a hands-off government and the veneer of a tolerant society, but a surprisingly conservative core. In some ways, anti-foreign feelings in Thailand arise from the clash between the permissive Thailand of skimpily clad bar girls twirling around poles and the more traditional side of the country, where women are too shy even to wear a swimsuit on a beach. Today, that veneer of tolerance, while still intact, is chipping.

Huh?

Yep, I agree too. Didn't see too much wrong with the article in terms of what was written. I thought it was pretty-much on the money.

Go out to the rural areas or the "non-touristy" areas of Bangkok, and attitudes to farangs is VERY different.

We think what we do here is ok, the average Thai does not.

I've often wondered how I'd feel in Australia where I'm from if there were much wealthier countries than us and the men came to Oz primarily for the purpose of obtaining cheap sex. I decided I couldn't come up with an answer to that one. Hard to say unless it actually happened.

Your average Thai hates it though, that's for sure. Yes, your average Thai male uses prostitutes. But the comparison economically between the Thai punter and the Thai hooker is a lot closer (in most instances) than it is between a western punter and a Thai hooker. Therefore, we are seen as being exploitive and taking advantage of our economic superiority to the girls we pay for sex with. I think that makes a big difference in Thai's eyes. (Which is funny in a country where money talks and bullshit definitely walks).

However, I think a lot of the Thai attitude has to do with the "We Were Never Colonised" philosophy that seems to prevail here. (Discussed at length before)... but.. ahem... the Japanese were here in great numbers during World War II, and these days, I would say, (just looking at all the Starbucks, Mickey D's, Burger Kings, Mega-Malls, Cineplex's etc), that the Land of Sa-miles has been well-and-truly colonised by the good ol' USA.

It sounds like if the 'old farang' marries a Thai women, she must be a prostitute. Does that hold true when old Thai men marry a young Thai woman?

I honestly don't know the answer to that, but I would have thought the old Thai man would keep the young girl as a discreet mia noi, rather than marry her, and keep his wife who is similar in age to him. This way, no one loses face and everyone is (on the surface anyway) happy.

Do old Thai men marry young Thai women frequently? Not sure.

Archived