What Thais think of old farangs

wonderlust

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last line from Lyman is pretty good, not just for Thailand but many situations: "Reason usually ends up prevailing in Thailand â?? after all other options have been exhausted," Lyman said.

How can the Thais complain about the old husband-young wife dynamic? They're the ones who came up with the "old buffalo likes to eat the young grass" phrase...

YimSiam

they turn Thailand into a land of prostitutes."

While I think this article is very good and precise this statement I have quoted above is just stupid and ridiculous! Thailand will not be turned into a land of prostitutes, Thailand IS a land of prostitutes, at least in the heads of the farang people at home! It also causes me a headache that a Thai person blames farangs for having prostitutes in his country, as far as I am informed prostitution was there a long time before the Americans came during the Vietnam war and after they have left they didn't do ANYTHING to stop it grow! This person in the interview might rather dig in his own backyard, because these little brownish ladies who are selling their bodies day in and day out are probably providing the biggest contribution to this country, what you reckon would be the number of tourists if there wasn't any prostitution? I doubt I would visit Thailand multiple times a year for it's sights! This person also works in a hotel in is supposed to accommodate them and not to insult them!

I understand that foreigner in every country are not really welcome when they come in masses and change the picture of the landscape and the culture, but things like said in that interview I would compare with those who are too stupid to find a job and blame a foreigner who has one!

Prostitution was in fact legal until not that many years ago. A law was passed making it illegal only to please the American government. I think that was in the early 1960s when Sarit Thanarat was running the country. Prior to that time the Thai govmt inspected the brothels regularly.

Nice to see the old Horny Toad bar on your link. Actually, Rich Menard opened his bar - the Grand Prix - in 1969. He bought out the Horny Toad about 1974 and ripped out the wall to make a bigger Grand Prix. A few months ago I was at dinner with S. Tsow -- one of the judges of the last writing contest -- and a friend of his. His friend had been a US Army medic in Bangkok around 1966-68, and told me something I'd never heard before. It seems the US Army had a medical aid station on Patpong and Rick Menard was one of the medics there. When Menard got out of the Army, he decided to open his bar on that soi. Thus Patpong sort of happened by accident!

Guest lazyphil

in defence of thai men using prostitutes and the obvious double standard is they dont parade them around a mall in bkk wearing a wife beater vest and shorts and flip flops oozing sweat :crazy:

Best explanation that I've read for why prostitution became so big in Thailand in the 20th century connects it to polygamy and slavery - both of which were only outlawed in Thailand during the first half of the 20th century -- very late, relatively-speaking, and probably not because they were considered abhorrent locally. After these were abolished, and Thai men lost the legal right to own women and to marry (officially) as many wives as he could afford, prostitution became the substitute. Makes sense to me.

YimSiam

Archived