Music in Bars

Partyguy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite music ('cos I'm an old fart) is party music from the 60s and 70s, plus a fair few more modern ones. But the songs must have a tune! Not some rapper screeching over an awful howl. I think the music played in Oasis (on the corner of soi Buakhaow and soi Chayapoon in Pattaya) is brilliant - suits me down to the ground as I can sing along with every track! :thumbup: :elephant::chili: :bangit:

Ah so that is where I can find you ;)

My taste is a bit more difficult as it depends on my mood for the moment. Could be rock, could be house, could be Opera or whatever. Usually I am not a big 60's or 70's fan though. But can suffer through it if in the right mindset.

Waerth

Everyone's different. I like many types of music, and when at home will listen to anything from classical to dance to rock to pop to chill out... depends on my mood.

When I'm out in the gogos I like to listen to dance music. (Not ©rap or hip hop, but dance music). One of the reasons I like Peppermint and Happy in Pats is they play this type of music.

I'm not hugely into ol' time rock 'n' roll, hence try to avoid places like Champions which play this sort of stuff.

Rainbow I in NEP usually plays some good dance music too, but it's usually played way too loud in here.

Baccara in SC plays cool music too (the main DJ actually MIXES stuff really well) and the girls do a pretty good job of dancing to it.

Most DJ's in gogos suck totally. They have no interest in music - especially western music - and tend to play "whatever song's got an X marked on the back of the CD box".

So many bars play the same crap every night... Tilac Bar is a good example, but the same kid has been DJ'ing there ever since... well.. since he was a smaller kid.

And how many times does the DJ in Playskool play AC/DC a night??? Truck-loads!

One thing I have thought of if I had my own gogo would be to have a "theme night" every now-and-then. So one night you have a 60's night, where they play nothing by 60's music all night. A 70's night on another night. An 80's night. A "Classic Rock" night etc. etc. Just for some variety and something different.

Most people would say they don't go to a gogo for the music, but I think (for expats and regular punters in particular) is does have a bigger bearing on people's choices than what you might think.

My most heard songs (and hated) songs in gogos:

(Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with the song... just that I've heard them so many times it's becomes cringe-worthy).

Hotel California - Eagles

Oops! I Did It Again - Britney Sa-Pears

All Rise - Blue

This Love - Maroon 5 (Moron 5?)

Zombie - Cranberries

Hips Don't Lie - Shakira

My Humps - Black Eyed Peas

Legs - ZZ Top

That Don't Impress Me Much - Shania Twain

Anything by Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Anything by Eminem / 50 Cent

Anything by Justin Timberlake

Discovery Channel - Bloodhound Gang

Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue

I think the music played in Oasis (on the corner of soi Buakhaow and soi Chayapoon in Pattaya) is brilliant - suits me down to the ground as I can sing along with every track! :thumbup: :elephant::chili: :bangit:

Is Oasis still good?

Have you ever been to Beach Club on Soi 15 off walking street? I bet you will love the music there, timeless classics only!

Hotel California - Eagles

Oops! I Did It Again - Britney Sa-Pears

All Rise - Blue

This Love - Maroon 5 (Moron 5?)

Zombie - Cranberries

Hips Don't Lie - Shakira

My Humps - Black Eyed Peas

Legs - ZZ Top

That Don't Impress Me Much - Shania Twain

Anything by Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Anything by Eminem / 50 Cent

Anything by Justin Timberlake

Discovery Channel - Bloodhound Gang

Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue

I would sign that, even when I think that the new Timberlake CD has some real cool tunes on it but as usual not the ones the people know from the radio, but I agree that have have cried enough rivers already and his old CD should be banned from all bars!

There is a great tune from Little Richard "Great Gosh A Mighty" it was from a sound track of a Nick Nolte movie when he was playing this homeless guy in Beverly Hills and was invited to live in a Villa!

I played this song once a night when I was a Hard Rock/ Heavy Metal DJ 14 years ago (or so) Even those headbangers couldn't stop grooving and dancing! That is one hell of a great Rock 'N' Roll song and the good thing is that the most people have never heard it but can sing a long in seconds!

Theme nights are a good idea on slow nights such as football nights when the bar is predictably empty! It could make you collect the guys who rather have sanuk instead of watching football! Could be a niche to fill the seats!

My pet hate with the music is, Why do all the beer bar complexes have the individual bars playing competing music at full volume? Instead, why not share a source/DJ playing a selection of 'middle of the road stuff' at a reasnoble level so you can actually have a conversation without shouting.

By the way CT, what type of music are you planning to have in your bar? If it's of any interest to you, I have access to profesionally mixed UK dance, club, commercial and party music, this stuff is only available to professional DJ's and not on public sale, PM me if it's of interest

Archived